92 Force 70 HP - Rebuild or Part out?

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice
Buddy has the above motor that has lost the bottom cyclinder. Inspection camera shows top of piston melted best one can tell without pulling the head. No compression at all on that cyclinder, other two fine. Lower unit is all original and has never had issues. Locals with opinions suggested carbs were too lean and this created the problem. Starter, tilt/trim, overall looks appears good.

Been wanting to try a rebuild for the experience but don't want to drown in debt. I know used resale values vary from region to region and for that matter cost of rebores, etc. If this was a "good" running motor, anyone have a ballpark as to value. Also, on a rebuild, I assume you would rebuild all three at 3 X the cost of one as opposed to only the bad cyclinder. Anyone done a rebuild lately on something similar has have a ball park number for parts only. I can get the bore(s) done locally relatively cheap so I have been told.

Needless to say I don't want to $750 rebuild on a $800 engine if that be the case. Any suggestions appreciated. This was a premix motor and fuel was mixed correctly.

Last edited: