'92. 150 CFI. power trim fluid filling procedure?????

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '92 150CFI. I believe its a '92. The serial number sticker can't be read but its on a '92 Trophy. My power trim motor runs but doesn't lift the motor. It appears to be low on fluid by looking through the hole on the right hand side of the trim motor housing. It has a knurled knob with an o-ring in the hole. Its also the trim motor with the built in side mounting bracket. What's the correct procedure for fill the resivour?

Thanks Tim

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '92. 150 CFI. power trim fluid filling procedure?????

Just for fun post a pic of the unit.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

Here's the trim motor

Tim

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwNzEyLTAwMzQ1LmpwZw.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First you remove the pump and replace the O-Ring where in the photo you can plainly see oil weeping. After replacing the pump with a new O ring in place, then fill the reservoir with the same fluid it had. Replace the plug and cycle the tilt to its limits a couple of times to bleed air then open the plug and refill to the bottom of the hole.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

What's funny is outside under the sunlight you can't see the weeping mark on the pump. It was the first thing i saw after taking the picture with a flash. I will have to change that. So the oil does go in the oil on the right hand side filled to the bottom then?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yup in the hole.It's filled while it's down.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

Any suggestions on where to get the seal? I asked my dealer yesterdat and was told "parts aren't avaliable, just bring it in"

Thanks
Tim

RRitt

Captain

wash the reservoir with soap, but don't bother replacing the standard Buna70 SAE size 041 oring yet. top off the reservoir in raised position and fingertighten the thumbscrew. If needed replace the oring on filler with a standard Buna70 material SAE sized 011 oring. overtightening the filler with strip the threads so you want to go fingertight - no more.

after filling, put some newspaper under the trim motor, lower the engine, and go inside for the night. The next mornig see if there is any oil dripped on the paper. If not then leave the 041 oring alone. A system filled up and then left down will have a positive pressure in reservoir. If your oring leaks then the pressure will push out some fluid. IF the oring does leak then you probably won't be able to fix it without another motor to cannabalize. the reservoirs warp sometimes causing such leaks and can not be fixed. Trying to fix with silicone or other sealant does more damage than good.

use 30W non detergent oil when filling.

Roughneck1860

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I did what was mentioned and it Seems to be ok. I used Merc power trim fluid. I think I am going to change the orings though. I left the trim up over night and it did go down some so I figured I might as well.

Thanks
Tim