Spare red wire on CD Mod?....88 Force 85hp.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Thankfully.... My trusty 85hp has been purring along the last few years without a problem.

Couple weeks ago... it was starving for fuel. Thanks to the depth of the forums (and the search button!) We dialed in the fuel pump. Waiting on parts to show up for that gig.

Had a buddy of mine over yesterday.. Figured we might as well tear into it since I had an extra set of hands around.....Glad I did.

We found a spare red wire on the rear CD box...Has a coupler with a wire in it. All the other wires are running to the coils as they should be..... So what the heck is this for?

I'm thinking that the CD mods were interchangable with the 125hp and this wire is for the 4th cylinder....
My buddy thinks it a test probe of some sorts....

So who is right? We've got a beer bet going on it now!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spare red wire on CD Mod?....88 Force 85hp.

Tell your buddy to buy your brand! These CD boxes are actually two sided and can service two cylinders each. So, on the three cylinder engine, one side of one box is extra. The nice thing is that on the three cylinder engines, if one CD box goes bad, you can switch them without spending money for a new CD box.

salmonslammer

Seaman
Re: Spare red wire on CD Mod?....88 Force 85hp.

Tell your buddy to buy your brand! These CD boxes are actually two sided and can service two cylinders each. So, on the three cylinder engine, one side of one box is extra. The nice thing is that on the three cylinder engines, if one CD box goes bad, you can switch them without spending money for a new CD box.

Good Info to know!

Thanks Frank!

Think a 6pack of Alaskan Amber is in order..... Pretty sure the nearest one to me is in Denver!