1993 120 Mercury Force Power Trim Will Not Work

Power trim does not go up or down but I hear a clicking noise in the relays. I tried bypassing the switches by doing this:
take the blue wire and touch it to batt+ going into starter solenoid. touch the green wire to ground.
It arked but nothing else. Before I buy a new trim pump or motor [ whichever it's called ] can anyone suggest
any other options? Thanks for any help.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 120 Mercury Force Power Trim Will Not Work

To my knowledge the blue is up and the green is down and the red is positive. Try jumping it at the relays. Blue and green wires provide a 12+ turning on the relay. If you give 12volts to either the blue or green wire you should hear a click. If not try replacing your relays before your pump, alot easier and cheaper. Another thing to check is the circuit breaker. Hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Im at my witts end tring to figure this out. I'll give it a try.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is a two wire system. By default, both wires are at ground potential at the relays. Connecting the MOTOR blue to positive and green to ground would cause the motor to spin in the direction to pump up the trim. What you did should have caused the trim to rise. You probably have a bad motor. Drain the reservoir. Remove the motor and test it in open air. If it spins, then the pump is jammed. If this is so, you do not have any inexpensive options. The best you can hope for is to have it rebuilt by RRitt or buy a used system on the auctions.

Thanks. I looked up the part and found it to be obsolete. I'm sorry but what RRitt stand for?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

RRitt is a fellow on the forum who services tilt and trim systems. Send him a private message to see if he can help you with parts.

Thanks Frank.I started to take the motor off and I'm confused, Do I take the 4 metal lines on the botttom off and the 2 bolts on the bracket and take the whole pump off or take 4 bolts off from the pump from the top and remove? I don't see a problem either way but I would like to do it once. Thanks for any help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If your motor and reservoir is the kind held to the pump with four bolts just above the pump itself, remove the four bolts and test the motor. If it spins freely when connected to the battery then test the pump. There should be a hex shaft going into the pump It may come out with the motor. . It should slide right out. Put a hex key -allen wrench- in its place and try to turn the pump. If it is locked, then you know the pump is bad.

RRitt

Captain

okay 1993 120HP has a known problem. Lets deal with that first.

hotwire the trim motor directly to a 12v battery, the one in your riding mower works great.

can you hear the motor spinning? If not then you need to get a new motor first.

once the motor is spinning properly does the sytsem lift? If the system won't lift more than a few inches then you need to rebuild the trim ram. Rebuilding trim ram is easy on freshwater and royal PITA on salt. In fact don't even bother trying with saltwater. Just throw it in the trash after finding a nice freshwater replacement off amazxon, ebay, craigslist.

once the ram is rebuilt and the system refilled with ISO32 hydraulic oil does it work properly? If not then you have debris in pump. You have to take the thing under trim motor reservoir completely apart and flush throughly. Eaton is a great pump. maybe best ever on a mercury or force. you can take apart super easy, flush it out, and put back together in 40 minutes. never re-use orings and never use oring from harbor freight. old orings harden. cheap orings swell and split under pressure.

Thanks a lot for your help.I'll give it a try and post my findings in a few days.

o.k. Took pump off and it is locked up. I tried both the allen wrench and it wouldn't turn and reconnected it to the battery
and all I got was an arc. So from everthing you guys have told me, the pump is locked up.
So the search is on, any idea where to find one?
Thanks for all the help.

dirtyrice23

Seaman Apprentice

o.k. Took pump off and it is locked up. I tried both the allen wrench and it wouldn't turn and reconnected it to the battery
and all I got was an arc. So from everthing you guys have told me, the pump is locked up.
So the search is on, any idea where to find one?
Thanks for all the help.

Check eBay, I'm trying to figure out what will work on my 1994.

Replaced power trim motor and it works like a charm.Thanks everyone for all the imput.