1975 chrysler starter

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a 15hp. chrysler been sitting for 10yrs, got it running good but the starter rope broke, any tricks to installing a new one? never had a chrysler b4, thanks guys.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 chrysler starter

Remove the top pull start support bracket bolts and loosen the bottom. There should now be room to remove the plastic pulley without removing the flywheel.

Wind the new rope around the pulley. Install the pulley back and tighten the two supports. Wind the new rope througk the small idler pulley and out the hole in the front of the engine. Attach the handle..

Now, unscrew the top screw and remove the pin passing through the pinion. Insert an allen head bolt and nut into the top screw hole, not so far that it blocks the pin hole. Tighten the nut to lock it. Now, using an allen wrench, wind the spring to the point where there is slight tension holding the pull cord handle against the engine.

Insert the pinion pin and remove the allen head bolt. reinsert the original screw to lock the pinion pin in place.

If you can not pull out the plastic pulley, it will be necessary to remove the pinion and the top support. If your engine still has the neutral interlock it will be necessary to remove it and the linkage.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

do I have to remove the screw on the black plastic top gear, sorry I"m not following you very well.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, In order to remove the pin through the pinion, you must remove the top screw. THEN, use the allen head screw to wind the spring.

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help, found a video on utube, that showed how to do it, also had to JB weld the coupler that the spring goes into down at the bottom, working ok for now.