74 Chrysler 55hp generator wiring

fuzzie627

Recruit
Got a 74 Chrysler 55 hp, shop swapped motor from one baot to another and now generator doesn't charge. Found a black wire coming from under flywheel that is disconnected. It will reach what I would call a voltage regulator that has 2 terminals labled AC that connect to 2 red wires coming from under flywheel and 2 other terminals of which 1 wire is grounded to starter bolt. It had a volt meter on the olther boat, but they did not swap it. I am going to put it on the later boat. I am a truck mechanic and don't want to hook up the loose wire to the wrong terminal in fear of shorting out something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 74 Chrysler 55hp generator wiring

Black is almost always ground, but I can't tell you what the one coming from the flywheel actually is. Two wires from under the flywheel attach to the a/c terminals as you described and the red wire that goes back into the wire loom attaches to + pos. The ground from the - neg is attached correctly. Look to see if the mechanic connected a thin red wire to the pos battery terminal on the solenoid. This is the way voltage charges the battery. However, if this wire were not connected, there would be no power to the switch.

On the circuit board there should be three red wires connected together: One wire in the thick black cable going forward to the switch. One in the wire loom coming from the rectifier and another in the lower loom from the terminal to the battery side of the solenoid.