15 HP Force Tilt Rod?

Chip1272

Recruit
I have a 15 HP Force and the clip on the rod that determines the tilt of the motor is broken. Not sure what to call it to find a new one, looked through all the catagories on iboats and didn't see what I was looking for. Any help would be appreciated, I just dont want to lose the rod!

Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 HP Force Tilt Rod?

You don't need a new rod. If you do not regularly change the setting, simply buy an appropriately sized stainless or brass cotter pin at Home Depot or Lowes. Drive out the old roll pin that held the broken tilting locking plate and insert the cotter in the hole. OR-- If yours had the plastic clip that locked on the transom clamp, buy a shaft collar and clamp it on the end of the rod. Or: Cut a groove in the end of the rod and put an O-ring in it. More trouble to do but easier to remove if you want to change the tilt setting.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 15 HP Force Tilt Rod?

I just looked at mine and you could drill a hole in the end of the rod and...

insert the cotter in the hole.

There isn't much rod sticking out of end of the transom bracket though.

Another idea would be to drill a hole in the plastic end/handle and zip-tie or wire it to the transom bracket. Orrr, apply sillycone on the rod, shove it into place and put a dab on the inner side of the transom bracket. It's not going to be easily adjustable that way though.

I like Frank's O-ring idea the best, but it's going to be a pain cutting a groove in the rod.