1983 Chrysler Charger 90 hp starter or siezure issue

jaydoc83

Recruit
Im fairly new to maintenance and working on outboard motors. It seems the flywheel is not getting enough power to turn fast enough. I tested the starter by at first bridging the soleniod (not the soleniod as I got the same result) then direct current on the removed starter. It seems to be engaging and spinning freely. The flywheel moves with a bit of force. Any advice on what could be causing the issue, or what and where my next step in troubleshooting is? How would I know if the motor is siezeing, or i it's already too late? I could take it somewhere to find out but I would like to attempt a do it myself project. Hopefully know this motor inside and out. Probably best to learn a bit hands on on this motor,m before my next.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Chrysler Charger 90 hp starter or siezure issue

Spin the motor by hand. You should be able to feel slight resistance as the armature passes the permanent magnets inside. However if the shaft does not spin freely, then take off the end caps and lubricate the top and bottom bushings.

Most starter "problems" are not that at all. Poorly charged, corroded terminals, or old batteries simply will not start the engine and most of these starters just do not like jump starting.

Clean the battery terminals and put a lock washer under and over each wire terminal. The lock washers bite into the battery and wire, insuring positive connection and maximum current flow.

jaydoc83

Recruit

Frank, I will look into the bushings, as well as the batery options, but my attempts at starting the motor as well as jumping the soleniod and direct to starter were off 2 brand new, purchased in June, charged batteries. I appreciate the help. Any other ideas why I would be getting turnover but not cranking speed?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you didn't say if this was a new problem or if you are trying to restart an engine sitting for a while. Sometimes when engines have been sitting, old oil thickens to the point where internal friction and compression is just too high for the power of the starter motor.

I am thinking that this particular engine is the Chrysler four cylinder 90. This was the 105 which was downrated to 90 when rating changed from powerhead to prop horsepower.

ANYWAY:

Try removing all the plugs, grounding them so the ignition is not damaged, and crank the engine with fuel line connected and carbs choked. You want to "flood" the engine and have fuel spraying out the plug holes. This will help to loosen old oil and put some fresh inside. (You can also jump the solenoid from red to yellow with the key off and manually choke the engine with no danger to the ignition)

Then, replace the plugs and try to crank it.