Chrysler 55 won't start with key.....HELP!!!!

I have a 75' Chrysler 55 hp that does nothing when I turn key nor does electric choke work when I push key in. I have tested switch and it shows to be good. I have also tested starter and I put a new solenoid switch on it. All of that is good. Motor starts right up if I jump it with a cable from battery directly to starter. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Suggestions? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

rickryder

Commander
Re: Chrysler 55 won't start with key.....HELP!!!!

Since you tested the switch and it's good and you can jump the starter..... I would think you have a wiring problem between the switch and the starter..... Do you have the service manual? If not go here and download it from my 4shared account http://www.4shared.com/zip/QWWFr2YC/ob2803.html

Start on page 100 for troubleshooting you electrical system ;)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Someplace in the system in the shifter or on the motor is a neutral safety switch.It's not making a connection.Wiggle the shifter?
Check the lead(yellow or yellow/red).
Parts diagram say's it's on the powerhead,probably on the shift mechanism.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Your neutral switch should be located (and compressed) about the same as my 1970 35 HP Chrysler with the yellow wire when cranking.
2. Is your switch sending 12Vs to your starter solenoid in the cranking position?

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Try disconnecting the red, yellow, and green wires at the switch. Now, touch the red and green. If the choke works now, the switch is bad. Touch the red and yellow. If the starter spins, again, the switch is bad or wired incorrectly.

Be certain that the switch is wired correctly: Red is to "B", yellow is to "S", and green is to "C"

If everything is correct and the starter does not spin, look for broken wires.

wickware

Lieutenant

Is this A Basic Rule Of Thumbs Wiring Diagram Attached (Chrysler 35 HP ? 55 HP)? The link marked it as a mag sys, why is a stator showing. I feel Mags were gone by 1980??

Attachments

• CHRY35_50_80_84[1].jpg
    CHRY35_50_80_84[1].jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 0