69 Chrysler 55 HP Spark issue?

jmulz824

Seaman
Hey all, thanks again for all your help last year with this motor. Took it out for the first time this year, after a bit a prep, ran it in a can, idled strong, LU new grease, good water flow. Thought everything was good to go.

Get it out to the lake starts and runs fine, get out past the no wake hit the throttle and it goes, but only about half the speed of last year, got me thinking I'm only running on 1 cyl.

I don't have a helper, is there an easier way to check spark than putting it in a can, starting it up, and pulling plug wires?
I replaced the plugs last year, gonna put some new ones in.

Any other suggestions on where to start?

jmulz824

Seaman
Re: 69 Chrysler 55 HP Spark issue?

I switch the plugs out, put new in, gapped at .30 like the FSM says. Sounds like it running better, had it running in a can, and performed the ol spark test. Zap yea, I know for sure I got spark in both cyl, and each plug i pulled off slowed the idle down.

Crossing fingers, problem is solved I hope.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

just on checking spark, you do know you don't have to have it actually running to check for spark?
pain in the bum to set up a drum of water every time..
just pull both leads off...so it won't start..and ground one plug at a time against the block, turn the key and look for spark, will need two people if motor on boat,

how old was the fuel as well?

jmulz824

Seaman

I know this chrome, however, I didn't have a helper. So I had to check the ol fashioned way. The gas was filled in the end of october and prepped for the winter with marine stabil just to be safe. I'm going to try to get out to the lake saturday and see how she does.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How long have you had this motor?
My 70 55hp will run great all season but crappy the following season.
Seems every season I have to pull the flywheel, clean and regap the points.