125 hp force low power in forward good power in reverse

kathyjlandis

Recruit
I have a Force 125 hp that im getting spark on all four cylinders, when i forward thrust im only getting 2000 rpms. If i go in reverse i get 4000 rpms.Any suggestions would help, please. i am at a loss. thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 hp force low power in forward good power in reverse

It probably is not the engine itself.

Remove the black plastic carb covers. With the engine not running put it in full reverse and check the carb butterfly position. Both should be nearly horizontal. Now put it in full forward. again, both should be close to horizontal. If they are not, then most likely there is a maladjustment or an interference between the shift and throttle levers inside the control box.

kathyjlandis

Recruit

Check those already everything seemed fine there.

kathyjlandis

Recruit

Relly stumped on this one. Help someone...

Jiggz

Captain

Make sure you are checking on the throttle valves (behind the jets) and NOT the choke butterflies which are located on the "mouth" of the carb. The throttle valves are way back of the carbs. With engine stop, move throttle lever all the way forward and these two throttle valves should be in horizontal. if they are not adjust. The same position should be achieved then you push the throttle lever in full reverse - although some do not go in full horizontal when in reverse but at least more than 3/4 way down.

If these are working properly, the only reason that an engine will have a slower rpm fwd is for a faulty lower unit that is keeping a drag on the engine when it goes fwd.

RedsFearMe

Recruit

Check your compression. If your motor is weak you can get more RPM in Rev. The prop is much more efficient in forward and "bites" the water much better. Due to a water prop, you get a ton of slippage in reverse. Just a thought.

kathyjlandis

Recruit

Thanks for all the help! We put the boat in the shop on Monday. I'll be sure to let you all know what it turns out to be. Of course this time of year they are two weeks out. So it will be about two weeks before we find out anything. Thanks again and I do hope it's an easy fix, $$$ and I hope they are an honest shop!

foodfisher

Captain

Beware double hopes. Keep sifting through posts here and be armed when you get the call.

Mikkohart

Cadet

Thanks for all the help! We put the boat in the shop on Monday. I'll be sure to let you all know what it turns out to be. Of course this time of year they are two weeks out. So it will be about two weeks before we find out anything. Thanks again and I do hope it's an easy fix, $$$ and I hope they are an honest shop!

Hi, this spring I have same problem as you did last year. Did you solve the issue with the instructions in this thread or was it something else.