1996 40 force no fire after new ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP HELP HELP

sparkspride

Recruit
1996 Force. WONT FIRE AFTER NEW IGNITION SWITCH!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I had my ignition key lost on my boat on a sunday. My only choice was a universal ignition switch. I am pretty sure it is wired correctly. I wish I had waited for a key but instead I went ahead and put in a switch. I wired as I have always known. Now the engine will NOT fire.

I have done so much I even held the spark plug in my hand praying it would fire.

I tried bypassing by unhooking and jumping at solenoid and still no fire. Please tell me what i am doing wrong. turns over. also will turn over when i put red/yel , purple, and red together. No fire.....

I wired like this on switch

M- Black
B- Red
M- Black/yellow
I- Purple
S- Yellow/red
C- Yellow/black

Thanks so much for your advice.... Also off switch is not off

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 40 force no fire after new ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP HELP HELP

Black with yellow tracer is the stop wire. Remove the black with yellow tracer. If the engine fires now, you bought either the wrong switch or a defective one. The two "M" terminals are in continuity when the switch is off. That puts Black/yellow to ground through the black ground wire and the CD box will not fire. The two "M" terminals should be open or have infinite resistance when the switch is on.

OR: Does your control box have a run/off switch on it? Is the switch in the run position? Does your engine have a man-overboard kill switch? Is the lanyard clip in it?

sparkspride

Recruit
Re: 1996 40 force no fire after new ignition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP HELP HELP

thank you for the reply. I will try this in the morning. I was puttting one of the the black/yellow wires on one of the m's. I have two different universal switches as well.. same result. I know it was firing before this happened. I will just unhook the black yellow and leave the black hooked up.

I also tried jsut crossing the red yellow, purple ,and red and turned over but still no spark. No lanyard. It does have an on/off switch but of course is on. I hae tried EVERYTHING, except just unplug that one wire out of the six. I will report back in the morning with results.

Thanks so much whether it is a fail or success.