Can noise level be lowered on 1997 Force 15 hp ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day, I find my 15 hp Force to be very noisy & loud, I get tired of hearing it after several hours of boating since it's tiller controled. Can noise level be lowered by using a richer oil mix ? like 40:1 instead of 50:1 ? Or using a different type of oil. Now using synthetic. Thank you.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can noise level be lowered on 1997 Force 15 hp ?

Oil will not change the noise level. If it does not have insulation inside the cover, you can contact cement some high density foam in there. That will reduce it some and buying some noise cancelling headphones will help too! LOL

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oil will not change the noise level. If it does not have insulation inside the cover, you can contact cement some high density foam in there. That will reduce it some and buying some noise cancelling headphones will help too! LOL
thank Frank, I tought about the foam then figured if it rots by gas fume some of it may enter the carb and I may be in for other problems.

MikeyArriva

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had that prob with my 89 force 150 all the foam rotted and got crunchy and fell apart all over everything. It was suggested to me to use a yoga mat if u can find one cheap enough. But your cowl is prerty small so wouldn't need much. Might be wasteful unless u can find one not being trashed or something

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I once read something about a part that goes over the carb entry that makes those Force OB run quieter, but cannot remember what it was.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I once read something about a part that goes over the carb entry that makes those Force OB run quieter, but cannot remember what it was.
Anyone knows about this gadget ?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmmm.....did your neighbor let you borrow his new Honda 4-stroke :)

I've heard that a wetsuit that someone has grown out of works well....

I also have heard a story about a guy who; after placing a plastic bag around the powerhead.....sprayed copius amounts of some sort of spray foam all over...and then quickly replaced the cowl. The foam "took" the shape of the powerhead...and once the bag was removed....all was well.

Well; sort of.

I'm not recommending that; it's just for your amusement. But the wetsuit idea sounds pretty good.

Chuck

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmmm.....did your neighbor let you borrow his new Honda 4-stroke :)

I've heard that a wetsuit that someone has grown out of works well....

I also have heard a story about a guy who; after placing a plastic bag around the powerhead.....sprayed copius amounts of some sort of spray foam all over...and then quickly replaced the cowl. The foam "took" the shape of the powerhead...and once the bag was removed....all was well.

Well; sort of.

I'm not recommending that; it's just for your amusement. But the wetsuit idea sounds pretty good.

Chuck
LOL LOL LOL Cheers