Force Model & Year, 9.9 or 15?

ozmihkboy

Cadet
I've picked up a small Force outboard from a friend. It's been sitting for a while, and when i tried to fire it up, it started leaking gas out of the float, so i'm on way to tearing it apart and fixing it. But I figure i'd need to know more about it before I go any farther. It's got no date plates, and no stickers. It is a Force, and a smaller one, so i'm betting a 9.9 or 15. Whats the best way to find model and year so I can do some more research and for future parts? If anyone out there needs pictures of anything, let me know and i'll get them. Thanks for any help in advance!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force Model & Year, 9.9 or 15?

Not possible unless you can find either a model number plate or a number on the block.

Good news is that the 9.9 and 15 were exactly the same externally. While the carb may be a different model, it will also be cleaned and repaired exactly the same with both engines. Flywheel, points, fuel pump, linkages, and lower units are the same for both models.

ozmihkboy

Cadet

I don't quite understand. If I wanted to order parts right now, for example, what would I tell someone over the phone what the model or year of motor? I can say 1995 9 hp force, or 1997 15 hp force? Is there any other way to get a ballpark estimate?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are a a lot of variations in production on outboards; a model number (and sometimes a serial # as well) is the best way to ensure that you will get the right parts.

As an example....here is a link to boats_dot_net for 1997 Force Outboards. See all the variations of the 15HP models? Without knowing which model you have...how would anyone be able to know which listing to use? Not everything is different of course; just certain things. But; yes...with this link you should be able to get a "ballpark estimate" of prices....

http://www.**********/parts/search/Merc/Force/1997/parts.html

put boats_dot_net in there.... :)

I'm guessing that you and the motor are many miles apart right now which is preventing you from getting the model #?

Chuck

ozmihkboy

Cadet

Thanks for the link, i'll read up on it here shortly. The motor is on an engine stand, in my garage, 20 feet away. It has no data plate and the gentlmen i bought it off of really knows nothing about it. I know it's a 9.9 or a 15, but no idea on the age or year of manufacture. I'd love to have some more knowledge, because it looks in very good shape and I firmly believe i'm going to get it up and running and keep it for quite some time. Like i mentioned, if anyone has any idea, whether it be by pictures or any location on the motor, where there might be some info to find out more about it, i'd appreciate it. I'm going to be buying some parts, and a book, but I am on hold until i find out what it is exactly.

ozmihkboy

Cadet

Ok I think I Have a break through in the case. I found a number on the carb. I entered it into the search engine on the link you provided and got a hit for one 1989 force 15 hp full carb assembly. The part number was 6820611. Do you think this is enough to just go ahead and call it a 1989 15 hp? And go ahead and order a book and start the teardown? I don't think it's a coincidence that the part worked out like that.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post a picture of it here. If you think that the paint and cowling decals are original someone might be able to confirm the year.

I wonder what happened to the ID plate? Even knowing that it is a certain year and HP still won't be adequate to ascertain what version it might be.

What sort of parts do you need? What appears to be wrong with it? Hopefully you have good spark???? Ignition parts for some of those can be quite an experience.

Most things are probably going to be constant over various models; buy from a source that has a good return policy just in case :)

Chuck

Copied from ASK.com....
For Force outboards less than 90-horsepower, the ID tag is found on the outboard engine's mounting bracket, where the outboard mounts to the stern of the vessel. The ID tag is best viewed when the outboard is tilted up, out of the water.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That carburetor part number ID's the engine as
[h=1]H0152S89A; 1989 15HP[/h]
With that; I'd say that you are pretty safe in assuming that's what you have.

Chuck

ozmihkboy

Cadet

And I thought I did good by just finding what year it was! That's a big help man, now I actually have a year, make, and model, all from a little research from parts. And to think some people said it was not possible ( even my local boat shop) to find out any real information on it. Appreciate the help again man, that model number goes a long way for parts.

I hope it's not a spark issue, I've already done a little searching and the prices seem pretty expensive for that area. I know it was dumping gas out of the float bowl, so I'm gonna tear that down now. Thanks again for the help

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might not even need parts to fix the fuel dumping problem. Take a close look at the parts diagram on the site above...take the bowl off the carb and examine the needle and seat. It's probably gummed up and can be cleaned. Blow carb cleaner through every orifice you can find and put it back together. The bowl gasket can hopefully be re-used.

No point in spending any money if you don't have to.

If you can get the motor running and you want to proceed...you can buy anything else you need all at once and save the shipping.

Chuck