1973 45hp chrysler no spark

roaddog72

Cadet
ok here is my problem the motor starts and runs for a few seconds then dies when i try to start it back up wont start :(. I check for spark and dont get any so i changed coils (replaced with new ones) so then i check for power going to coils no power . Then i took off fly wheel to check points they look new and very clean not sure of the gap (im very new to points my first boat with points ) i can not find any power to the coils i dont have a wiring diagram for it so hard to track down have checked al wires for breaks all look good . Put fly wheel back on and try to start still nothing(no spark). Seam like there is no power to the coils .

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1973 45hp chrysler no spark

1. Set points at .020.
2. Use a meter etc to know points are making contact vs just looking.
3. With your ignition switch on you should have power going to your coil. I ?think? you can verify this at the wiring ID plate on the eng with a volt meted.
4. Check the link below and others searching wickware and others related to Chrysler magneto system.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=537069&highlight=wickware

Good luck! Please post your progress or we never know if we were some help or you need more help.

roaddog72

Cadet

ok time to report i went out after read a lot of post and found that the wires to key switch was wrong. Went and bought new plugs and put them in have a good spark and motor started and ran for about ten minutes sounded good so after running i shut it off and stared right up then when i tried to start it up again after taking a phone call would not start still have good spark im getting plenty of fuel. Ok well thii found reason it wont restart well got it to start and found that no water being pumped so im going to empty my barrel and change it let you know what happens after that thanks to all.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Did you run it deep in a barrel or lake to protect impeller and over heating?
2. Did you check the impeller, LU oil and cooling water flow if the engine is new to you?
3. Is the over-heating buzzer/horn, etc working? Ground the orange wire at the sensor usually in the head and you should hear it with the key on.
4. Have you checked the eng compression? Above 100 psi, fuel & fire it should start, unless overheating kills it vs sounding??

roaddog72

Cadet

Yes have it in a barrel full of water Yes checked impeller have good water flow now after changing impeller . checked gap on points have them set to.020. put fly wheel back on started right up ran great . Motor not getting hot had to stop due to time for bed lol .I let boat sit for 4 days till yesterday went out to check it out and start it up and broke the key way went to get another one came home and put in started right up again then shut it off to tryit again and snapped another key. When setting the timing what cyclider is number 1 the top or bottom one ? i have broke 3 keys now . heading into town now to buy another one . also check compression and have 118 top and bottom.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Top cylinder is #1, and the flywheel must be torqued to at least 90ftlbs or you will continue to shear keys.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. I w/n tough the timing if it is starting that good w/o a backfire or etc.
2. How much torque are you tightening the flywheel with? That will snap a key if not enough torque.
3. Hopefully someone will share the torque spec, which I feel might be more than my 35HP (80 vs 40 ft pds).

roaddog72

Cadet

Ok time to report got motor to run set points and torque fly wheel down no more broke keyways . thank you to all for the help