50HP Force left me dead in the water in the middle of lake st clair yesterday

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have a cajun pro adventure 150 bass boat, have a very very clean almost new looking 50hp force on the back. It has run nothing short of stellar since I have had the boat last year. I have been running it all year long so far and never had a single issue with it. It takes 50:1 ratio 2 cycle outboard oil/gas mixture. Yesterday prior to hitting the water at 6am I put 16oz oil and 6 gallons of gas (50:1) I put premium gas and do not know if this is what caused my problem. We were running it all morning from 6-11 without issue. Then used it at really low rpm to troll around for about an hour. Once we were ready to head back to port, we opened it up and got on plane and were cruising along at about 30mph. Out of nowhere, a slight loss of power for a second and it picked up right away. (It also stalled out one time while trolling and I noticed the ball seemed soft so I pumped it and started right back up.) After the loss of power we were back on plane and about 1 minute later, complete power loss. Ball was still firm, and getting gas to the engine, This time she didnt start back up. We sat dead in the water for a while drinking the rest of our beer and letting it sit for a while thinking maybe it got flooded or something. Still nothing after about 30mins, so we jumped in the water and checked the plug cables for spark and didnt really seem to get spark. Fired up the battery trolling motor and took about an hour to get to port. A quarter mile from port just for the hell of it (after engine sitting for 45mins-1hr) I tried to fire it, it started right up.. I cruised into port and let it sit in neutral while going to get the trailer that was at another marina due to the unexpected problem. We got back in 15mins and the engine had just stalled out and again would not start. The engine was never hot at all and seemed to be cooling fine. I now have the boat in my driveway and really want to figure it out. Where do I start?

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate any help you may contribute.

Jason

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 50HP Force left me dead in the water in the middle of lake st clair yesterday

No help? 93 views?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50HP Force left me dead in the water in the middle of lake st clair yesterday

Yesterday was Sunday,I was fishing and not sure where everyone else was.
Monday somepeople work.
Now we need more info??? Serial # and year???
Now I'll try to help.
Test the overheat circut.The orange wire on the motor,key on,ground it out and see if the buzzer works.
Possible the motor overheated and stalled.
Fuel pump,check the diphram.Water in the gas??
Answer the ???? and do the tests.Post your results.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yesterday was Sunday,I was fishing and not sure where everyone else was.
Monday somepeople work.
Now we need more info??? Serial # and year???
Now I'll try to help.
Test the overheat circut.The orange wire on the motor,key on,ground it out and see if the buzzer works.
Possible the motor overheated and stalled.
Fuel pump,check the diphram.Water in the gas??
Answer the ???? and do the tests.Post your results.

Woa woa woa..... I didn't intend to come across as having an attitude. So please don't take me that way.

Just to let you know, my 1995 regal valanti 202 se was in the shop last week for a tune up, and now it is in the shop having THE TRANSOM replaced, so I am a little saddened as of late. However when I was on my bass boat, (the aformentioned boat) I brought home 5 nice walleyes for dinner, and another 30 fish that went back. 5 species total. So I am happy that you were fishing too, it is "the life."

No that we got that out of the way, I am home, bass boat is in the garage, I have a multimeter and some tools. If you would like to help me in any way, It would be appreciated. I am a computer tech, and no computers, and car engines. I am out of my league on this one so please be patient with me.

Prior to this fishing trip, 87 octane gas was used, this time, I used 93 octane (premium) with my 2 cycle oil. Thinking, "hey better gas, better performance." Not sure if this is my problem or not, but that boat ran solid for over a year and then when I put higher end gas in it this happened. Maybe this could have done it no? I am not sure.

I am able to perform any test you ask of me. Please help.

I will go get the serial and year right now. Thank you....

BRB.

JAson

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Engine serial: 0E093790

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you pull the #2 plug wire, or it that how it was when you removed the cowl?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Changing octane shouldn't make a difference.
The ball shouldn't remain hard after the inital start.
It only is used to pump gas to the carb.
The pump isin't strong enough to draw from the tank unless the motors running.
OIf you need to keep pumping then the fuel pump might need rebuilding.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The ball was not hard, I squeezed it because it wasnt hard, so that is good I guess. The engie wasnt hot either, warm, but not hot. It was 90 degrees out so I would expect that from running it all morning.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

**UPDATE**

I just now went out there and pulled one of the 2 plugs, and it had oil/gas on it, not sure what I was supposed to look for, but I put it back in, and fired it up choking it the first time. It did what it should do, it turned over then bogged out caughing. Then I started it without choke, and it fired right up and ran for 15mins until I shut it down. I am puzzled. Any help?

Jiggz

Captain

Based from the original post it sounds like there is something overheating from the ignition system. And since the symptoms are not constant but instead intermittent, it will take a lot of troubleshooting to figure out which component is overheating. When you said there was not spark when it would not start, was that on both plugs?

If it was it could be the voltage regulator that is overheating. The next time it quits on you try disconnecting the voltage regulator and see if that will solve the problem. The next step after the voltage regulator is to take voltage reading from the stator and trigger wires. If there is proper voltage from these units then you can assume either the switch box or the Ignition coils are the culprit.

One way to test is when it would not start feel for the switch box and the coils to see if they are really hot. With the back of your hand hot means you can't keep contact for more than 3 secs. If you find one unit hot try cooling it off by fanning (or compressed air) it or using wet rags (not dripping wet). When it's cooled try starting again. If it starts, then you know which component is overheating.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Based from the original post it sounds like there is something overheating from the ignition system. And since the symptoms are not constant but instead intermittent, it will take a lot of troubleshooting to figure out which component is overheating. When you said there was not spark when it would not start, was that on both plugs?

If it was it could be the voltage regulator that is overheating. The next time it quits on you try disconnecting the voltage regulator and see if that will solve the problem. The next step after the voltage regulator is to take voltage reading from the stator and trigger wires. If there is proper voltage from these units then you can assume either the switch box or the Ignition coils are the culprit.

One way to test is when it would not start feel for the switch box and the coils to see if they are really hot. With the back of your hand hot means you can't keep contact for more than 3 secs. If you find one unit hot try cooling it off by fanning (or compressed air) it or using wet rags (not dripping wet). When it's cooled try starting again. If it starts, then you know which component is overheating.

JIGGZ

Thank you! I will try what you have said. As of right now it will not start, and it hasnt since this morning. Where is the voltage regulator?

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jiggz, I am not well versed in outboards, would you mind being a little more descriptive as to what I should do. I dont even know where the parts you mentioned are located. I appreciate the help!

Jiggz

Captain

This is the exploded view of the ignition system. Item # 14 is the voltage regulator. And the other picture is the wiring diagram. It it's not starting now, is it cranking over? Is there sparks on both the plugs? Do you smell fuel from the exhaust while cranking?
1995 50HP Ignition Components.jpgForce 1984-99 50 HP Wiring Diagram.jpg

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the exploded view of the ignition system. Item # 14 is the voltage regulator. And the other picture is the wiring diagram. It it's not starting now, is it cranking over? Is there sparks on both the plugs? Do you smell fuel from the exhaust while cranking?
View attachment 151942View attachment 151943

jiggz....i just verified no spark on either cylinder it has been sitting for hours and hasnt started.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i smell exhaust fumes, not rally gas...it is cranking but wont turn over. seems to me like a fuel issue...but others have said it is not...im desperate here..

Jiggz

Captain

Make sure the stop switch is not activated. This could be the "kill switch" or the lanyard switch. Disconnect the white wire from this switch and make sure it doesn't touch ground and then try again. Make sure you have enough cranking power.

When an engine is said to be cranking over, it means the starter is engaged and is turning over the engine. When the engine starts it is said to have fired up or started. Remember you have to ground the spark plug to verify it has spark or not. We need to address the spark problem first for without it we cannot address the fuel problem. Try again checking the above steps.

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure the stop switch is not activated. This could be the "kill switch" or the lanyard switch. Disconnect the white wire from this switch and make sure it doesn't touch ground and then try again. Make sure you have enough cranking power.

When an engine is said to be cranking over, it means the starter is engaged and is turning over the engine. When the engine starts it is said to have fired up or started. Remember you have to ground the spark plug to verify it has spark or not. We need to address the spark problem first for without it we cannot address the fuel problem. Try again checking the above steps.

no spark... i have pulled the plug and grounded it, no spark, and hooked on a in line plug tester. no spark at all

I will pay you to call me....

Michigan Jason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is voltage when cranking to the coils.... but i dont think the trigger is telling it to fire. is it this control module thing? is there a way to test this?