1984 85HP Force Outboard

:( Hello I have A 1984 bayliner crpi with A 85HP outboard on her. Went to the lake yesterday and she broke down on the way out! motor got hot and a miss showed up at full speed,? but went away at half speed. then she just shut down all together and would not start at all. crank over great but just wouldn't fire up let the motor cool down for about 30Mim. check the fuel / spark / put 3 new plugs in, and still nothing. put the old plugs back in and it did fire but with a miss. got back to the ramp and back on the trailer. not sure in my motor has a fail safe shut down on it for overheating. looked at my Chrysler / Force outboard shop Manual. but just can't firgre it out she is a sweet little boat just fine for the wife an me,didn't spend alot for her, we put her back as close to 1984 new as we could don't want see her die !! the boat here Won't work on her because they say she is too old and too hard to get parts for, can anyone help

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 85HP Force Outboard

Welcome to the site. Do you know if the overheat buzzer works? Not sure if they had them in 84, my 88 has the sensor on the cylinder head. Check under the dash just below the steering wheel to see if there is a black alarm. What was the last maintenance done on the motor? Might try a compression test on it. Check the fuel filter on the side. If it almost plugged, your carbs could be the same.