'84 FORCE 85hp. dead. help?

casejeep

Cadet
Hi
I have a FORCE 85 from 1984. Just tried to start it today after a long off season, i turn the key and nothing happens. no sound no nothing.

the battery was bought in 2010, but as it most likely was dead i jumped it with my truck. turn the key and still nothing. even when you have a dead battery and you jump it the engine would atleast click, try or something.

my next idea is it might be the starter?

what do you guys think?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: '84 FORCE 85hp. dead. help?

Load test the battery.
Wiggle the shifter(neutral safety).
Test light across the solenoid.

casejeep

Cadet

Load test the battery.
Wiggle the shifter(neutral safety).
Test light across the solenoid.

This is my first outboard ive ever owned. I have no idea what most of that ment.

how do i do the things listed above?

foodfisher

Captain

1)Take the battery to an auto parts store and have them load test it to see if it's any good. Usually free. 2) Involved beyond my typing want to. SEARCH 3) Jump start the starter, Cables direct from good battery to starter. Clean=Disconnect all connections, clean and reconnect. Visual OK is not OK.

casejeep

Cadet

1)Take the battery to an auto parts store and have them load test it to see if it's any good. Usually free. 2) Involved beyond my typing want to. SEARCH 3) Jump start the starter, Cables direct from good battery to starter. Clean=Disconnect all connections, clean and reconnect. Visual OK is not OK.

Love it! simple and easy! I did a test on the battery, 12volt tester, and it shows that it isnt dead. but ill take it in tomorrow to get checked out.

foodfisher

Captain

Starter mount is a ground also, disturb/clean that connection also. All the other ?'s = yesses but unsure of the prop question. Looks OK to me, but you got what you paid for.

Jiggz

Captain

The spider washer is not installed properly. The tabs should be pressing against the brass nut matched with the notches. Although this is not critical anymore because of the self-locking nut used. The prop shaft has an extended shaft which can use a prop nut to make it look professional.

As for the starting problem, not even a click with a charged battery? Then the neutral switch is not pushed up by the linkage. Try pushing the throttle fwd and rev and back to neutral. Then try again.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi casejeep,

Below is a reply to another post that had the same problem as you.

I?d start by trying to isolate the problem. Test the starter first after you are sure the battery is OK. Have your battery tested to make sure it is OK.

With the ignition OFF and in NEUTRAL get a pair of heavy jumper leads and test the starter.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FROM THE BOAT?S WIRING.

MAKE SURE THE IS NO FUEL LYING AROUND AS THE CABLE MAY CAUSE SPARKS WITH THIS TEST.

BE CAREFUL OF MOVING PARTS.

ONLY TOUCH THE CABLES TO THE STARTER FOR SHORT PERIODS AS THE IS NO FUSE IN THIS SYSTEM.

SOME GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION WOULD BE USEFUL.

Connect the positive jumper cable to the positive battery terminal & then connect the other end to the positive terminal on the starter. Then connect the negative jumper cable to the negative terminal of the battery. Be careful of the next step as sparks will come from the jumper cable end. Touch the negative jumper cable end to the outside case of the starter. The starter should work if it is OK. You don?t need to crank the starter for long. If this works we will move on to the next test.

Photo of your motor to show positive terminal.

Good Luck
aa1.jpg

casejeep

Cadet

I just got back from the store and the battery was DEAD! so i got a new one. I got a deep cycle starter? what was on there before was just a deep cycle. right one to get? will try hooking it up soon.

casejeep

Cadet

So the starter worked once i went strait from the battery to the starter itself. so it cranks and with some starter fluid it turns over, but when i try to reve it it dies. i tried it in neutral and in gear.

whats my next step?

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well your starter seems OK then. If you tried with the battery out of the boat and the key in the off position the motor will not start.

Have you tried fitting the battery back into the boat and starting as you would normally? There is a circuit breaker that may have tripped. Have you checked it? Not sure where it is but it will be on the motor somewhere. It will have 3 red wires coming from it. One wire goes to the battery side of the Solenoid, the other to the rectifier and the remaining wire to the third from bottom connection on the terminal block on the engine. Photo of your motor below has where I think it could be.

You may have two problems at the moment. One the starting system and the other something with the motor that is preventing it from running.

Two new tests for the starting system. Not trying to get the motor started at this point. The first checks the main wires from the battery to the starter and the second tests the solenoid.

TEST 1
Testing the main cables from the battery. Ignition switched off.

Find the solenoid and refer to “TEST 1" photo below.
(I have attached a photo of the solenoid in my boat in case it is some help).

Your solenoid my have a different configuration to this drawing. The heavy terminals will be the positive in and out. The smaller ones will be earth(black or green) and positive from the switch ( yellow) possibly.

First test is to bridge the terminals on the solenoid from “A” to “B” with a screw driver or insulated piece of metal. Precautions as mentioned in the last post eg moving parts and sparks. Again only short burst as there is no fuse.
If this works it means the main cables from the starter to the battery are OK. Move on to “TEST 2”.

If not you will need to check for corrosion, frayed wires or loose connections. The earth wire where it connects to the block of the engine is worth checking.
You can check the earth cable by running a jumper cable from the Negative terminal of the battery and touching it to the Engine block or any good earthing spot on the engine and run the test again. If it does work you need to fix the earth cable.

There are two positive cables. One from the starter to the solenoid (terminal “B”) and one from the solenoid (terminal “A”) to the battery. You could test the short positive cable by touching the positive jumper cable to terminal “B” on the solenoid. Again if it works the short cable is OK and the problem is with the main positive cable between the battery and the solenoid.

TEST1
solenoid Test1.jpg

TEST 2
Testing the solenoid. Refer “Test 2” photo. You need to have preformed “test 1” first to make sure the main cables are OK.

This test supplies power to the switching circuit of the solenoid to make it work.

Bridge the terminals on the solenoid from “A” to “C” with a screw driver or insulated piece of metal. Precautions as mentioned in the last post eg moving parts and sparks. Again only short burst as there is no fuse.
If this works it means the solenoid is OK.

If it doesn’t the problem could be the earth switch wire at terminal “D” or the solenoid. Run a temporary wire from terminal “D” to ground and test again. If it now works fit a new earth wire as the old one is faulty. If is still doesn’t work after replacing the wire your solenoid is faulty.

TEST2
solenoid Test2.jpg

Photo of my solenoid so you can see the wiresSolenoid photo.jpg

Your motor.aa3.jpg If that is not the circuit breaker hopefully some else will help.

Photo of where your solenoid is. I suspect the B terminal on your solenoid is closest to you in this photo. ( the whole senenoid is upside down to the diagrams.

If the solenoid is OK there is a fault in the ignition circuit supplying power to the switching side of the solenoid. The fault could be corroded wires, connectors, ignition switch or neutral switch.
I will stop here as this post is getting a bit long. Post your results and we will take it from there.

Good Luck.