75hp chrysler ignition conversion

champwiz

Cadet
need to know if I can change this to a regular coil? I got a new cd box 115-3301 and still no power to the coil was wondering if I can use a auto coil, there is a distributor with the sensor trigger switch. it has power coming out of it but I can get the new cd box to fire the coil. there is nothing coming out of the gray wire going to the coil.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75hp chrysler ignition conversion

You can retro fit to an auto coil but you need to replace the electric eye and sensor with a camshaft and points. Before you do that, check and double check all wiring. You need a blue wire going to both the distributor and CD box. This comes from the "I" terminal on the switch. You need a red wire going to the CD box. This comes directly from the battery via the red wire attached on the battery side of the starter solenoid. The distributor needs to be grounded from the body to the mount. You should see some voltage at the white wire from the distributor when you spin the dist with the ignition key on.

champwiz

Cadet
Re: 75hp chrysler ignition conversion

Well I thought thats what I had to do, get a distributor with points. I have check everything on the wiring and it all works fine but still no power coming out to the coil with the new cd I bought 115-3301, power going in on the blue and the white/black out of the distributor, everything is grounded fine.

RG Shore

Recruit
I am exploring converting my 1969 75 HP OB Chrysler engine to an automotive coil setup. I have used a CDI powerpak for a couple of years until it went bad. I have some very basic instructions on using an auto coil but would appreciate some specific information as to what type of a condenser I should use and how it should be wired. I find that the CDI (115-3301) units are not that reliable since I do not use the boat on a regular basis- so I am looking at doing something that will give me more reliability at a greatly reduced cost. Any help and/or information would be greatly appreciated.

Nordin

Commander
champwiz
As I understand you have bought a new CDI 115-3301 but still no spark at the plugs. Does the CDI module "Hmmm" when you turn the ign.key at ON position? It should do that if it is okey.
If you have 12VDC at the blue terminal at the distributer then the trigger in the dist. is bad.

RG Shore
Converting to automotive ign.system with a automotive coil...... Use a capacitor (condenser) that fit to a automotive system for a car.
The spec. for the capacitor depends on the spec. for the ign.coil.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have had to change an optical eye out in the distributor before, luckily I had spares for my 75hp motor to finally accertain it was the distributor optical trigger/switch which replaced the old point system.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
When you changed the CD unit did you run a blue wire from the blue terminal on the engine to the colored pose on the distributor? This is a power source for the electric eye.. The white with black stripe is a signal wire from the second post on the distributor to the CD box. The CD box should have two power sources: One for the capacitors--usually red--connected to the red terminal, and one for the electronics--usually blue . Thus the blue terminal on the engine should have two blue wires attached to it in addition to the blue wire from the ignition switch.