drive shaft help 74 chrysler 35

sgb211

Recruit
I thought I had locked up the motor but found that the drive shaft bearing below the water pump had siezed. I have everything apart but cannot remove shaft from bearing/housing. Am i missing some thing? I figured atleast the bearing would pop out of the housing with the shaft?? I have found parts for the rest of the lower unit but of course cannot find a bearing. I dont even know what kind of bearing it is or what caused it to sieze. Any ideas?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: drive shaft help 74 chrysler 35

It should actually be a pressed-in sintered bronze bushing. It will be a standard size--I forget numbers but I.D. will be the shaft size. You can drive it out with a hammer and drift bar. However, if the shaft does not show scoring then the bushing may also be good enough to re-use.

So check it out before removing it. If you decide to reuse it, lubricate it before putting the shaft back. Then to avoid future problems be certain the oil level is up to the top hole at all times. There is no specific lubrication to this bushing, just splashing.

sgb211

Recruit

Thank you for the info. I had taken the unit to work today used a little heat, got the shaft out, and found exactly what you said. There is one score mark in center of the bushing and the shaft. I think I can clean up with emery and reuse. I can only seem to find parts breakdown for 74 Chrysler 55, which every thing looks the same except they call the bushing a bearing. I am wondering if the seals and impellar are all the same or if I need to do more research to find the correct parts? My motor is model #355HD and as you know a 35Hp. Again thank you for the help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There were two different 35s made at different model years and I can't tell you what those years were. However, from about 66 to 70, the 35, 45, and 55 were the same encing completely with the only difference being the bore and stroke. I simply can not remember the difference between the two different 35 models to tell you what to look for, even though I would know if I saw one. The smaller 35 was based on the 20-25 HP engine so if you look up one of those, you may see the difference.

So: If your 35 looks exactly like the 55 then all seals and water pump parts are most likely the same. Since you have the model number, order parts through franzmarine@aol.com He knows this stuff like the back of his hand.

wickware

Lieutenant

Some info that Frank sent me a few years ago on this materthat might hepl.

Re: Please explain differences in correct/incorrect Chrysler 35/55 series.

Well, models numbers would tell you but I don't have them and never really paid attention to them.

The 20, 25, 35 series engines were single carb two cylinder engines with about a 1/2 inch drive shaft. Prop was 9 inches diameter with an 11 spline shaft and a pin drive.

the 35. 45. 55 series engines were also single carb, two cylinder engines. The drive shaft was about 9/16 diameter. Props were 10 3/8 inch with a 13 spline shaft and pin drive.

The 55, 60, 65 engine series as far as I know, were never made in short shaft versions--that is, I have never seen one--But I certainly have not seen them all. They were twin carb two cylinder engines with a 5/8 inch drive shaft. Props were , in the early units, the same as the 10 inch props for the 35, 45, 55 and later units had a closed hub 15 spline prop with a thrust washer Just like the later larger Force engines.

So: Ask what size the prop was and most likely you will get the correct shaft.

Hope that helps some.

Hi ya from Australia you look like you know what your talking about :lol: was wondering if you could help me can you tell me what this hole is for and why it leaking a oil substance thanks $(KGrHqNHJF!E+(odw2lrBQeDD5U((!~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqNHJF!E+(odw2lrBQeDD5U((!~~60_57.jpg

Attachments

• $(KGrHqNHJF!E+(odw2lrBQeDD5U((!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJF!E+(odw2lrBQeDD5U((!~~60_57.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 0