Force 120 starter issues

flightdoc

Seaman Apprentice
So I have a 93-94 force 120. I put a new starter in and it was working great for a while. A couple of weeks ago I took it out. Started fine and motored around the bay for about an hour. Shut down for some lunch. Went to start back up and it just spun. No turning just a free spinning sound. Took the cowl off and see that the bendix didn't come off the fly wheel and was stuck up. Loosened up the starter and found the nut on top of the bendix was loose. Tightened it down. Twisted bendix off fly wheel and prayed that the starter wasn't fried from freewheeling. Gave it a turn and fired right up. Did the same thing 4 times yesterday. Any body have any idea what could be the problem. I was thinking the spring on the bendix may be of shotty craftsmanship but I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated while it is an easy fix and I am getting quite quick at it I worry that at some point I will be farther out and the starter won't work after I fix the bendix.

Thanks.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 120 starter issues

Try squirting some WD-40 on the portion of the starter shaft that the starter drive goes up and down on.

If you're nervous about the starter, might be good to have a piece of rope with knot on one end and a handle on the other. See the pictures on Post# 9 of this thread thanks to the master himself.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=538911&highlight=rope