slick trick for installing gear shift arm

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, this dummy took out the wrong screw to drain his gear oil. shifter arm and bushing completely out of whack, I screwed up good. talked to Frank A this morning, we both agreed ya gotta take the lower unit off, and quite possibly disassemble the prop shaft. I pulled the unit, saw the bushing way in the bottom. Turned it upside down, got the bushing out. No way to align all this back up without a real marine tech to do it. So I looked at it, and decided to try something.
I got some sewing thread from the wife, and tied the bushing to the fork to keep it in place, looped a long thread through the pivot hole, and played steam shovel. Took me all of ten minutes to re-install !!! ( had it in once, but backwards).. after it's secured, yank the thread to retrieve it, it will cut itself on the edges of the bushing, and the pivot pin screw when installed, cuts the long thread clean. here's some pics:

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

pic one is what we all know and love. Pic 2 shows how I tied the bushing to the fork. Pic 3 shows the second long thread through the pivot hole. The next three are how I manuevered it inside the housing by pulling and lowering the string, and along with the lower shift rod you guide the bushing in the groove of the shifter shaft. Use the long string to raise and lower the pivot hole so it lines up with the hole in the case, and the shift rod lets you go forward and backwards, and hold it steady. Just like a steam shovel. Sorta.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: slick trick for installing gear shift arm

That's my kind of thinking , Bob. There's a technique I will file in the back of my mind. While I said it was accessable from the top of the lower unit with the water pump base off, you thought of an elegant solution to placing the brass yoke. That's what these forums are all about. Kudos to you.

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahh.. praise from the Master himself!.. Yea, i was thinking there ain't no way to put that yoke on the shaft, and then slide the fork over it.. no way.. My dad taught me a trick using thread to hold a gasket in place while you install the part... the bolts go in to secure it, then just snap the thread out.. no gaskets that fall out of place when you're not looking...

frigit

Recruit

did u have to buy a special puller. we did the same thing, pulled the wrong one to drain oil. please help never pulled one apart before

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boblist, I don't know if you are still on this board or not. You saved me some $$ and I'd like to buy you some beer or pizza.... whatever. Send me a PM with a paypal email and I'd like to reward your ingenuity!

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

How did ya get the shift arm out off bottom rod without removing propshaft mate? Does it just slide into a keyway or something like that? Thanks mate

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NM.. thanx!! .............the best way to find any solution to a problem is to screw something up....!!!

Steve,the fork just lifts off the shaft... you can just turn the lower unit upside down, the fork/ bushing will eventually slide out if you've unscrewed the rod by mistake...