1990 90hp force outboard, revs to full throttle in netraul at idle!!

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
quick background. 1990 bayliner capri, 90hp force outboard 2stroke. ran fine all last year, I winterized it (fogging oil in cylinders, stabil in the gas) but i didnt run the stabil gas into the engine. (first time winterizing a boat-read as naive)..

so I took the boat to the water yesterday. I didnt add new gas cause it had a 1/4 tank yet. Get boat in water and crank and crank. It finally starts but revs to full throttle while in neutral!!! everytime I start it, it just winds up as high as it can go until I shut the key off. I have no clue why this is happening. Nothing on the linkages should have changed, I didnt touch anything on the engine. Everything appears to be moving like it should.

I couldnt find ANYTHING on google about anyone having this issue. My thoughts were that that gas might have issues from sitting for 4months, even with the stabil. The carbs might be plugged from having untreated gas sitting in them? The engine is running lean??

Ive physically checked all the cables, and verified that all are moving correctly. Ive checked the butterflies in the carbs and verified that they open and close when they should. I have not found any evidence of rodents in the engine area, no chewed wires, nests or fur. Also No-one has made any physical changes to the engine or cables while it has sat over the winter. any ideas?