I have a 87 force 125 hp model number is 1251x7b and has power tilt and trim

affliction14

Recruit
I am having power tilt and trim problems with the relays. I am getting power comming from the wire that goes to the tilt and trim motor but when I hook the relay it just clicks and the motor doesent move. I had the relays tested and they were good. Does anybody have any info that could help me. I even bought new plugs for the relays. The guy at the store told me that normaly the middle wire doesent get used on my 5 five prong relay. If anyone has a right diagram I would greatly appreaciate your help.

The relay is five prong the center prong is 87a than if you look at the front of the relay with the screw hole to the back the front pin is 87 the one to the right is 85 the one in the back is 30 than the one on the right is 86. The diagraam on the relay has 85 on top of the rectangle and 86 under it than it has a dotted line with 87a on top with a diaonagle line going down to the thirty and the 87 is on top next to the 87a with a circle and a tiny line going down.

So can anyone please help me since you can tell I dont know nothing about relays and how they work. Thank you.

RRitt

Captain
Re: I have a 87 force 125 hp model number is 1251x7b and has power tilt and trim

1987 did not use relays. You should have a 3w motor. If you have a 3w motor then it will not run with a normal relay wiring harness. 3w motors will run with relays (I personally think w/ relays is a better setup) but you have to modify the wiring. If you try to run 3w trim motor off 2w harness then sooner or later something will fry. For 3w operation the NC contact needs to be left open. For 2w trim motors the NC contact is ground.

Scott Vieira

Recruit
Re: I have a 87 force 125 hp model number is 1251x7b and has power tilt and trim

I have a 87 bayliner and it also has relays for trim unit you can buy the relays at an auto part store they are AC relays I have the same problem you need to take the pump apart and clean it due to water getting into it the rust is the problem.

RRitt

Captain

before taking motor apart, hotwire it to a battery and see if trim works. If trim doesn't work with a hotwire then motor is bad (common) or pumps gears have locked up (rare).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Some of the later 87's had relays.
Early models didn't.

When posting the problem always post the model and serial#s
They made 17 different series in 87