Force 125 Steering problem

Brandon13

Cadet
1987 Bayliner Trophy with 125 Force. I took the boat out a couple weeks ago and no problems at all with the steering. I arrive at the boat today, planning on taking it out, and the steering is frozen. I tried a couple different things in order to better understand the problem. I disconnected the engine from the steering rod by removing the bolt at the L shaped bar. The engine moves freely with no problems, but the rod will not move via the steering wheel. I then disconnected the large nut where the cable connects. I was able to move the rod by hand, although it was rather hard to do so. Still, the steering wheel does will not turn all the way neither port nor starboard. When turning the wheel, it gets to a point where there is a clicking noise coming from what appears to be a gear housing directly beneath the wheel. Can someone help me understand what needs to be done? Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 Steering problem

Well, Brandon: Instead of going crazy and replacing a piece at a time, buy a whole helm kit with steering cable. It sounds like the cable itself is starting to rust inside and become difficult to move. The clicking might indicate a couple of "teeth" inside the helm stripped. Since a kit is only marginally more expensive than a cable alone it makes sense to replace both helm and cable as a kit.

Then, before screwing the cable into the engine tube, take a long wire brush and clean out the tube of old grease and possible rust. Relubricate and install cable. Consider buying a seal for the tube end opposite the nut to prevent water from getting in. (if there is room to mount one)

Even though the engine itself is free, keep it well greased to prevent future problems. Too much grease is not enough! This is one area where freeing up steering is a nasty job. Preventive maintenance will pay for itself.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The clicking means the rack/pinion is going/gone.
Just replacing the cable is NOT gonna work.
They sell a kit that contains everything.From the wheel to the cable.
On your cable,one end or the other is the size embossed in the cover.
Sent U a PM.

Brandon13

Cadet

Alright thanks for the advice Frank and Jerry, sounds like you'll diagnosed it rather easily. On to my next question...On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to replace this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Depends on whether or not there is corrosion and whether or not you need to move the engine to get the cable out of it So, say anywhere from 3-6 on the difficulty. ( For me it is a 1 but I use the correct swear words)

First you remove the center cap from the steering wheel and loosen the 3/4 inch nut up to the end of the threads (to protect them from hammering). Then pull the steering wheel--like pulling a flywheel only a little easier. It will not come off by hand so you will need to have a puller or wedge something under the wheel and smack the shaft a couple of good ones with a hammer. If it is a nylock nut put it on upside down or replace with a plain nut. Nylock will smash down under hammer blows.

Next, remove the helm cover--two screws usually hold it to the dash. Then unbolt the helm. Rotary helms have three bolts ---don't remember what racks have. If you are installing the same type helm you may be able to leave the helm mount bolted to the dash.

Go back to the engine and unscrew the nut that holds the cable in the tube. pull out the cable. Here it may be necessary to unbolt the engine and slide it as far left as you can. Once the cable is free from the engine just pull out the helm and cable from the front. Installation is the reverse but you may need to "fish" the new cable. Thus: when you pull out the old one tie a good length of rope on the hole end--just in case.

Time? Somewhwere around 1-2 hours

Brandon13

Cadet

That doesn't sound too bad. I'm hoping the corrosion is not present. The cable was replaced about 5 years ago by a mechanic. What causes them to go bad so soon?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Water gets in the engine tube and works its way into the cable itself. The cable is piano wire wrapped in another piano wire helix and will rust easily eventually cold welding together.

If you didn't already do so go back and read my edits. --No biggie, just helpful hints.

Brandon13

Cadet

Yeah it looks like it is mounted under the steering wheel by 4 bolts. The long black box (not sure the correct name for it) also appears to be angled.Is that normal?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Rack and pinion. Yes, it is normal to either place the angle of the cable (if the cable travels down below the floor) or to make room.

Brandon13

Cadet

After researching it a little bit, I've read where many people recommend getting the No Feedback System. In your opinion, do you think it is worth it?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the trophy model.
You might have to remove the motor.
The smaller the boat the harder the job.
A 125 usually came on the 19,even the 21.The 21 is a no problem.The 19 ????
Pics of the transom and well.J

Brandon13

Cadet

Yeah its a 19. I replaced the transom last year by myself so I'm somewhat familiar with removing the engine. Just planning it out in my head, I'm thinking that I could loosen up the motor on the transom and take a floor jack to the bottom of the engine and lift it up and over a few inches in order to get the rod in the tube.

Brandon13

Cadet

I found a part number on the cable..SSC13416 and 3950210 the helm, but I cannot seem to find a place to buy them together