1989 force 50 temp sensor r&r

tbrandon

Cadet
Hi all first post.

So as in the topic I have a 1989 force 50 that the temp sensor keeps setting off the buzzer. At this point it "looks" to me like the easiest way to get the temp sensor off to test and or replace is to remove the head and it looks like the sensor will come with it? Could anyone deny or confirm this and or tell me how to get it off due to it being so low inside the engine cover?

Thanks, Tom

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 force 50 temp sensor r&r

well the first thing i would check is water flow from the two ports in the rear of motor. and check the motor while its buzzing for excessive heat. my guess is your impeller (though it might be spitting water) isnt not pumping enough water and yout motor is in fact getting to hot. thats its pourpose.

but no. removing head is not necessary. i to am replacing the thermoswitch as mine got to hot a few years ago and ruined the switch. they have a retaining ring that holds them in. to remove it you MUST have a set of snap ring pliers. i just bought a set. $14 bucks ish. and use the 45 degree tips. squeeze the ring and pull it out. fist make sure while ideling in a barrell that you have a consistant and heavy flow of water coming out of the two holes on the back leg of motor.

pic below is the ring pliers.

Attachments

• PICT0882.jpg
    PICT0882.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpg

Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help??
If the temp sensor is setting off the buzzer you need to figure out if it's really bad or really WORKING!!!
When it's running you should be able to touch the head and not burn.
Running in a bucket make sure it's in deep enough.
3-4 inches above the cavitation plate.
Or running on muffs? That motor needs special muffs.
The regular size muffs and it won't get the right amount of water.
Like catfish says don't remove the head unless you run in salt water.
Then it's possible that you MIGHT??? need a replacement(maybe it's salting up)?
It's very easy to change the impeller in that motor.Under $20

tbrandon

Cadet

Thanks for the replies, I do have a good water flow as well as no apparent hot spots on the engine. I just could not see how to get the sensor out to test it next. Is it difficult to remove after the snap-ring is off?

Thanks again, Tom

catfishcarl99

the retaining ring is around the rubber seal when you squeeze the ring and pull out it all comes togather.

click this link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GYlkZ7Y_z0&feature=youtu.be i did a youtube vid for you to see. i removed mine in it to show you. mine will be here tomorrow. there about a $50 part. i got mine on ebay for $13.50. unfourtunatly it was his last of three.

heres one for under $20 if you feel it needs replaced. http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-F658449-..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item256055f278&vxp=mtr

catfishcarl99

but i would be cautious about running motor untill its checked and diagnosed. simply unhooking it could land you in trouble. i did just that a few years ago. and one day when a storm approached me and my cousin were heading off the water and it began to loose power and i looked back to see smoke. it died. we barley made it to the door of rest room when heavy rain and hail hit. we had to troll in. the impeller quit. and i didnt have a warning. replaced the impellor two seasons ago and its running ok. i did cook the paint on head but got real lucky no further damage was done. thats why i too am in the process of replacing it and the buzzer.

mine appeared to have good flow too. but after i replaced the impeller i relized it wasnt like it should have been.

tbrandon

Cadet

I can't thank you enough for making the video. That explained it all to me.

I guess to document what I have done so far...

1. I have replaced the impeller.

2. water flow at water ports are bathwater temp and strong flow.

3. The thermostat has been removed by a previous owner, I ordered parts and will replace with the sensor.

4. Prop is the same that has been on it for several years with no problems.

5. I also after reading your thread ordered a Black & Decker laser thermometer from amazon @ 25$ and free shipping, I want to check its accuracy but it should (when it gets here) help a lot to solve this problem.

6. I have only taken the boat out to see if I have fixed the problem and will not be running it without some kind of overheat warning, but I do appreciate your caution.

Will give a full report after I get snap ring pliers and some other parts + tools. Thanks for all your help.

Tom

catfishcarl99

no problem. my part is tracked to be here tomorrow so i had to get it out and ready for the new one to go in. im not sure it was bad because my buzzer isnt working either but since the rubber seal on mine is wrinkled from the overheat and the wire casing was melted at the senser im just replacing it too. i had many lil things to replace on mine. gas guage next lol. its not working either . another thread if i cant figure it out lmao. let us know what ya figure out.

havent had my thermostat out. must have had some overheat issues before you got it.

tbrandon

Cadet

okay thanks for your help and to close this thread out in hopes of helping others :)....

New thermostat in and new water temp sensor.... problem solved. The temp sensor was plainly the problem....

Now I gotta sell it cause in the meanwhile I found my dream boat and broke it lol!