Chrysler 75hp spark issues... I suspect distributor

camfrogg2

Recruit
1978 75hp Chrysler with electronic ignition --

I recently had the pre-amp electric eye go bad so I replaced it with one from a parted-out motor. Now, the CD and coil fire while cranking as determined by a spark gap tester placed directly in the high-tension side of the coil. However, the motor still would not start so I checked spark at the plugs. Initially, with a spark gap tester, I was getting spark on all 3 wires. However by the time I got to the third one I started noticing that the spark seemed to be going intermittent. The more I tested it, the more erratic the spark got. Finally, as of now, I get zero spark on any plug wire.

All spark plug wires test good with an ohmmeter. I have used the spark gap tester to determine that spark is getting all the way into the distributor while cranking, however it is not making it to the plug wires. The only part of the pathway that I haven't been able to test is the carbon center post ("bushing") and the jump of electricity from the rotor to the pickups inside the distributor. Somehow this is where the surge of electricity is not getting through. I cannot see any evidence of burnt connections or arcing. I tried putting in the carbon post from the other motor, which is more visibly worn than my original, but no change. I can't swap out the distributor cap because the other one is for a 4-cylinder.

This is absolutely driving me nuts because I can trace the spark into the distributor but it seems to get lost in there. I can't think of anything I've changed within that part of the distributor itself. For just a minute today it seemed to be sparking just fine. What could I be missing?

camfrogg2

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 75hp spark issues... I suspect distributor

By the way, periodically throughout my testing I went back to make sure the coil was still firing. It fires consistently with a bright blue spark across a 1/2" gap.

camfrogg2

Recruit
Re: Chrysler 75hp spark issues... I suspect distributor

Well, in order to prevent making anyone else's brain smoke like mine was, I thought I should answer my own thread. As it turns out, I had the tester's gap set too wide for the spark plug wires. I shortened the gap to 1/4" and whaddya know... a nice blue spark. Tomorrow... we smoke up the driveway (I hope)

Sorry for the false alarm.

On a side note, Frank is right about not being able to reliably test the electric eyes in these distributors. I had hooked the one from my "extra" system up to a 12V battery and checked its output, got nothing so I thought it was bad too. But once I installed it into the motor it worked like a charm. That being said, maybe my one-person rambling thread wasn't a COMPLETE waste for everybody out there.... Happy boating!