60 hp chrysler no spark need help of any kind

swerveious

Recruit
60 hp chrysler outboard no spark to coils imagine that lol well this is my first post was wondering if theres a way to test any of the ignition components and what they are ive looked for diagrams and cant find any so far. i dont know the diff between stator, power pack, ignition module or whatever else is under the flywheel?. ive seen that theres a conversion kit for magnapower 2 ign but how do you tell if its been converted or not? mine says magna 2 on the side and ive read that all the components should be under the flywheel if its magna 2 but i have one box thats next to the coils and theres 1 white and 1 green wire goin to the flywheel does this sound rite or? im pretty lost on this old dinosaur lol also i can get 2 55 hp motors for cheap are the parts interchangeable on the ignition system? i can post pics if needed and any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60 hp chrysler no spark need help of any kind

A couple of photos will help. If the 55s are twin carb 55s, then parts will swap. If they are the single carb versions, then no parts at all will swap with your engine. If they are both the same--single or twin carbs, then parts will swap between them.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ya i just ordered a new cdi on ebay for my 50 hp 89. take your model number and search it with the word parts or electrical parts. you should get a few sites with parts. they usually have exploded views with part numbers and then you can search them as well. also search with key word cdi with model number. thats how i found color (wire) codes for mine. cdi troubleshooting pfd.

this should get you started untill one of these fellas that know the motors well can chime in.

swerveious

Recruit

ok finally found out what the parts were exactly under the flywheel and the box on the side is the rectifier witch shouldnt effect spark. the throttle lever tho was hung up and was not going all the way into neutral and i seen theres a little switch on the side by the motor where linkage pushes a button in so i thought that would have something to do with spark maybe maybe not? if so what is the switch called and if its bad can you bypass it and hook the two wires up together to do so? ive seen that alot of people change the coils rite off the bat and thats not the first thing to do but i looked inside the end on the plug wire and its so rusty i dont see how it would get a connection. so i tried to take the wire out of one and it was already broke inside and the other one was so rusty where it pressed into the wire it slipped rite out and was rusty as could be. would that much rust keep it from sparking at all or should it still be there and just weak? thanks again

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The switch on the side is the neutral interlock switch. If the gearshift is not in neutral the solenoid will not close and the starter will not crank. This is completely independent of the ignition.

Rust is conductive BUT--- too much makes a high resistance connection and may prevent enough voltage from passing to jump the plug gap. You have a smoking gun. Fix the wire problem before you check other components.