1988 force 125 ignition problem

JW62

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1988 Bayliner with a Force 125 ob, I have owned the boat for 4 years now and have had good luck until about a week ago. We got a 92 degree day in mid april so we took the boat out. It ran fine the whole time we were out. (about 2 hours) When we were coming in to the ramp (low tide) we got the motor into the sand/mud, The boat never hit bottom just the lower unit and prop. As soon as I noticed I killed the engine to prevent damage and we floated back out to deeper water. I then tried to start the motor and had nothing happen and had to get towed in by a passing boater. The question is is there something simple I am missing? I have played with the controls to see if it was stuck in gear and today I checked and there is power getting to the solinoid? Is there some kind of safty that can be reset? I checked the circuit breakers by bypassing them just to see if it would turn over but that didnt work. any help would be great thanks

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 force 125 ignition problem

You say there is power going to the starter when you turn the key to start. Do you have a click at all? clean your connection to the starter.

JW62

Recruit

I checked the solinoid with a light tester and it shows power going across it. I didnt check at the starter, But the main wire goes right to it from there. I will check tomorrow, There is no click at all right now. Just seems strange it was running fine, has a new battery, and always starts right up until this happened.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Neutral safety switch? It's mounted just below the carburetor throttle cam and has two yellow wires. The little white button on the switch has to be pushed in by a lever on the throttle linkage (this happens when it's in neutral) in order for the starter solenoid to supply voltage to the starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Power across the solenoid?
Bad starter?
Low battery?
Start with the starter.
Battery charged.
Test light across the solenoid.
Remove starter,disasemble starter.

JW62

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your help, I went to check the nutral safety switch and noticed one screw had fallen out so the wire was not connected. I replaced the screw and it started right up. I knew it had to be simple but that was a surprise. Thanks again.