Old Chrysler 75 hp wont start

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=537558

That is a link with more info on the motor and my issues. I am pretty sure I have everything finally wired correctly. Now when I turn the key to fire the motor it turns over but it seems to be to slow for it to fire and the cables at the battery get really hot fairly fast. I have verified that it is not the battery. Before I invest in a new starter for a motor I'm not sure even runs, I am hoping to find some help/solutions. Thank you, I appreciate any input.

David

rickryder

Commander
Re: Old Chrysler 75 hp wont start

I would get one of these starter draw meters and see if it's the starter.

I would get one of these starter draw meters and see if it's the starter.

Thanks for the tip. Could I use a volt meter in the same way? I am leaning towards this being a bad starter. First I will go back over all the major wires and see if there are any poor connections. Do you know of any good sources for these old starters?

So,,,, I was able to get it to fire with some carb cleaner. I could keep it running with intermittent sprays into the carbs. I was feeling pretty good about that thinking I must have a fuel supply issue. I am getting fuel to the carbs so maybe dirty carbs? Either way. Once things seemed to be getting better, the starter stopped working. The choke will activate when the key is pushed in but nothing from the starter. I hooked up volt meter to the starter and it draws nothing, when the choke is applied the volts go down slightly, but nothing with the starter. Did I burn it up? Any suggestions? I appreciate it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Possible burned windings or possible worn out brushes. The starter can be rebuilt but it is easier to buy another--look for one on ebay.

At this point, it can hurt nothing to remove the starter and take it apart to see what is wrong.---And don't use carb cleaner. It washes oil off the bearings. Use premix squirted with an old baster or a meat injector.

Possible burned windings or possible worn out brushes. The starter can be rebuilt but it is easier to buy another--look for one on ebay.

At this point, it can hurt nothing to remove the starter and take it apart to see what is wrong.---And don't use carb cleaner. It washes oil off the bearings. Use premix squirted with an old baster or a meat injector.

Thanks for the advice. Whats strange is that the starter gave no warning signs of quitting. And I know on other motors, the solenoid usually clicks when the starter goes bad. I will take a look at the starter today, but could it just be the solenoid? Also, I am probably going to have to clean the carbs, ( can't keep the motor running ), is it as easy as it looks? Do the jets have stoppers or do I need to meticulously count the rotations when I take them out? Thanks

Alright. So I go it to fire and stay running. It wasn't the solenoid or the starter. The neutral switch wasn't lined up correctly. It was in the position of the motor being in gear thus not allowing the starter to crank. Now here is the next concern. I let it run for about 3 minutes before I noticed that the top most spark plug was getting hot and smoking a bit. I am guessing that either the water pump isn't working or the earmuffs I had on the water inlet were not supplying adequate water. When I turned the key off, the motor ran for a few more seconds before shutting down. What should I do next? I want to bring it to the lake and test it in the water, but, is there a better/safer way to see whats happening? Thanks.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This might be a dumb question, but did you have it in gear while you ran it for 3 minutes? At least with my Johnson it wouldn't pump water through the head unless it was in gear. In neutral I wasn't getting any cooling since the impeller wasn't turning.

Nope, It was not in gear. Are you sure it would need to be? It seems that would cause problems. Maybe these motors aren't supposed to idle long?

Any ideas on why the upper cylinder would be getting so hot? The #1 cylinder wire gets to hot to touch and starts smoking after running for about 3-4 minutes. Would a bad spark plug wire cause this? Any ideas?

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

could be a bad spark plug lead, try swapping one of the others and see if it still happens,

you probably know by now it doesn't need to be in gear to pump water and that the drive shaft/impeller spins when the motor is running

could be a bad spark plug lead, try swapping one of the others and see if it still happens,

you probably know by now it doesn't need to be in gear to pump water and that the drive shaft/impeller spins when the motor is running

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is the water pump. I tried cranking it with the water plug on the top of the motor off and no water came out. Is replacing the pump/impeller a difficult job? Where would I find the parts? Thanks

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's not a difficult job, unless the bolts decide they won't play nice...
4 bolts on the LU, don't have a 75 ( 10, 2X45's, 120 ) so can't say whether there is enough room to get to the gear shift split pin without taking the leg covers off to get to the linkage adjuster, only a couple of extra minutes if you do,

once you drop the LU there are four more bolts holding the water pump cover on, replace the impeller AND pin, have a good look inside the pump housing first for gouges, scratches etc and that's just about it...

lining up the LU when putting it back on sometimes can be a tad difficult but some foul language generally works well,

iboats may have the bits you need, in the header at the top of the page

wickware

Lieutenant

Some general Pics of replacing my 35HP Chrysler LU?s impleller are attached. You will see some of the info referred to but I doubt items will be identical as some 35-55 HPs.

Please post a pick form the back top thermostat area of your motor to see if you can easily fit a Tell Tale to see your water flow to the side (just below the cover) vs the back.

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 8.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 9.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Low Tell Tale.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Low Tell Tale.JPG