Force 85 HP Powerhead

bojango541

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am selling a 85 hp powerhead/block taken from a 1988 motor. I have a prospective buyer asking if the powerhead will work on his 1995 force 90 HP. I know the newer mercury force motors have a completely different ignition system, but I think the block is still the same, no? Shipping is very expensive, and I don't want to make a compatibility issue and have to have this shipped back to me. So the main questions is, will this bolt on to a 1995 motor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 85 HP Powerhead

While the block will bolt to the motor leg, I believe by that year they went to a Mercury lower unit and the crankshaft splines are different. If the buyer wants to open the block and change out the crankshaft then it will fit. If he wants the complete block assembly to mount as a unit, then it will not work

bojango541

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks frank!

One more question. I have another guy asking If it will fit a 1990 L drive. I know the year should be good, but I dont know the main differences between the L drive and a regular outboard. Will that work?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It will bolt to it, but I have never worked on an L drive. I don't know if the stub shaft will fit. Perhaps someone with L Drive experience will chime in.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I've worked on one L-drive, don't remember what year it was, but it had 13 spline shaft coming out of the lower unit.