96 Force bearing carrier install problem, not shifting properly

dhabel

Recruit
Hello, I'm new here and it looks like the place to be for someone who can't afford a marine mechanic!
I just installed a new bearing carrier in my 96 Force 120. The old one was cracked in a spot and slowly leaking, but it was fully operational. I made my own puller to get the old one out without doing any damage, and snugged the new one in by turning the bolts a turn at a time. After re assembly the prop is engaged when in neutral, and disengaged when in reverse.
I took it out and re installed it and still have the same problem. Looks to be too far off to try adjusting the cable.
Any help greatly appreciated.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 96 Force bearing carrier install problem, not shifting properly

Try this.
With the lower off, push the shift selector or throttle leaver up forward all the way.
Next you need to shift the the lower into forward gear by hand, so shift the rod into forward gear while rotating the prop clockwise until your hear a ratcheting sound then reinstall the lower unit.
If done correctly this should take care of your problem.

dhabel

Recruit

Try this.
With the lower off, push the shift selector or throttle leaver up forward all the way.
Next you need to shift the the lower into forward gear by hand, so shift the rod into forward gear while rotating the prop clockwise until your hear a ratcheting sound then reinstall the lower unit.
If done correctly this should take care of your problem.

Thanx Bentle!
New problem! Was just now trying to remove the lower unit to see what's going on. All 5 bolts removed from lower unit, and it aint moving. I mean it's not moving even a little.
Any suggestions?

dhabel

Recruit

All right after a 3 hour fight I got it off. I'll re seal everything and put in an impeller..
Hopefully It will go back together right.
Thanx For you help.