'89 125 force throttle lock out?

travislyle

Recruit
Hi guys, I've got an '89 force 125 that I got cheap off a guy that tried to re-deck his bay liner but quit after he demo-ed it and saw the extent of the work. It is now on my boat and running, but I am having trouble getting the throttle/shift linkages right and hoping you could help. My problem is that when the motor is in neutral i cannot get it to idle up on idle only. The control works fine, but back at the motor there is a mechanical lockout that blocks the ability to advance the idle. Is that supposed to be engaged while in neutral? When I shift the move the linkage into forward or reverse it raises or lowers a tab off my throttle linkage and the throttle will work. Is that tab supposed to be locked in neutral? I was thinking that it might be to keep me out of higher rpm ranges at idle and my throttle is just adjusted wrong? Please help!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 125 force throttle lock out?

If the engine is correctly adjusted, that block will only allow a couple of degrees timing advance and throttles cracked open. This is enough for about 1500 RPM for warm-up and fast idle in neutral. Go to the first page and look at the sticky FAQs Synchronizing timing and carbs.