1983 85hp Force not charging battery

datdudedb1

Cadet
I have a 1983 85 hp force that runs decent but is not charging the battery. My mechanic told me Not to put a lot of money in to the motor(when it goes let it and he will find a newer motor for me). My question is besides carrying a spare battery onboard is there anything I can do.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 85hp Force not charging battery

I don't get it. What did your mechanic tell you about the charging? You don't scrap a motor just because it won't charge the battery.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Battery charging system is pretty basic. It has a stator, rectifier and some wiring. All you need are some basic tools and a meter. You may need a flywheel puller in a worse case scenario. Have you asked him to fix it, or are you looking to fix it yourself?

datdudedb1

Cadet

I was told that the stator is bad and by the age of the motor it was not worth fixing

86-vip

Cadet

lot cheaper to fix charging system on motor if it runs good a motor that big and in good shape aint going to be to cheap-----83 aint to old ive seen alot older ones still kickin good

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Looks like a new replacement stator for that motor is about $125. Used replacement regulator on E-bay $45. Depending on what's bad, doesn't look that expensive. If the motor is in good mechanical shape, might be worth fixing. A used replacement motor would definitely be a lot more expensive.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The regulator is on the starter boss.
Possibly a small black square with terminals,wires.
Do a stator test.outboard iginition .com Has the test procedures.
Make sure the connectors are all good.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even if you do get stuck with a dead battery, with the key in the run position, that engine can be pull started and will run. Just carry a good stout rope about 4 feet long with a handle on one end and a knot on the other.

For some reason I can't post my photos, but if you search for my post on pull starting you will see me doing it with a 125.

Practice once or twice before you need to do it, then take your time finding parts.

As stated above, a stator is not real expensive and only requires removing the flywheel to replace--not a difficult job and you CAN do it yourself. Why discard a perfectly good engine for such a small problem?

datdudedb1

Cadet

thank you fellow boaters your information and input is greatly appreciated