Force buzzer/alarm

Cojak7898

Recruit
I have a 1985 85hp Force with the overheat alarm going off at WOT after a few minutes. I killed the motor and sat for a few. It spits out water at idle and pours out while moving, which seems to be fine. I tested the thermostat in which it did open and close. I've read several things and don't really know where to start. I'm assuming it's either the: impeller, water pump, fuel pump (not pumping to all cylinders), or the foot isn't in enough water at WOT. What gets me is the fact that it seems to pee water fine, so how could it be the pump or impeller? Only alarms at WOT though. And yes, this is a new boat to me, did it the first and only time I took it out. I'm like most people and would prefer the least expensive fix, of course. Could it possibly be a minor malfunctioning thermostat, and could I replace it and run again assuming intentions of idling down if the buzzer went off as before (and come back in)? Thanks in advance.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force buzzer/alarm

It's a good thing to replace the water pump impeller if you don't know when it was last changed. Try that first and see if that solves your problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If the fuel pumps feeding one cylinder it's feeding all.No way it would contribute to overheating anyway.
The impeller could be pumping enough water to make it pee and when it goes faster it stops(bad impeller).
Crystal River?? Florida? Salt water use?
Like Bingbong says read that link.

Cojak7898

Recruit

I ordered a new impeller and will try to get it in within the next few days. Thanks for the help. Being that I will have this boat mainly in saltwater, are the muffs adequate for flushing?