NO SPARK - 40 hp Force two stroke 1996

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have this 1996 Force 40hp with no spark, cranks over fine but no spark on either cylinder - any ideas where to read with a meter some volts when key is on or what wires I can short at the engine to eliminate everything on the other side? Like if I did not have controls or a key and any safety's what wires would be shorted to make ignition right on the engine?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: NO SPARK - 40 hp Force two stroke 1996

What have you done so far?
Did you check the saftey kill switch which should be located on the shift lever housing?
Make sure its in the run position.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Check with a meter to see if ignition wire (kill switch) is shorted to ground.
Need more info.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Check with a meter to see if ignition wire (kill switch) is shorted to ground.
Need more info.

Okay - here is the deal. They owner had some wiring done, new key switch and other non related to ignition wiring. Motor ran before this work. First place I investigated was the key switch. It has 3 connections one for the starter and one for the ignition. I shorted the ignition to power (no change) When I meter the poles on the switch I found 12 volts on all with the key off. Next I checked the kill switch on the remote control. I disconnected it and shorted it out (no change) I checked all wires at the engine the best I could - 30 amp fuse okay.

Questions:
1) How does the electric choke work, I wonder if this is the correct ignition switch because all it has is off on and start positions no choke?
2) Next should they be 12 volts on each terminal with the key off?
3) Is there a fuse on the motor other than the 30 amp which is probably for the starter?
4) Where on the motor should I read the key power on/off
5) What to do next?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

okay back on it - disconnected kill switch still no spark