1980 45 hp Chrysler fuel problems

truman3

Cadet
I am having problems with keeping the my 45 hp chrysler outboard running. I think it is a fuel issue. The motor will start up and idle good for a little while but when I get to going the motor starts to cut out and dies. To get it started again I have to pump the primer bulb on the gas line. I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it good. It has a new gas line with primer bulb from the tank to the motor. When you try to prime the motor with the bulb, the bulb does not seem like it is releasing back as quick as it should (it stays collapsed for a little while). Anybody have any ideas for me? Thanks

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1980 45 hp Chrysler fuel problems

Creating a vacuum behind the bulb. Clogged fuel tank vent?

truman3

Cadet

Fuel tank seems to be venting fine. I even tried loosening the cap on the tank because I thought the same thing.

foodfisher

Captain

There's talk of clogging quick connects in the fuel line.

truman3

Cadet

That is what I was wondering. I am going to see if I can find some new connectors and give that a try.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a bad fuel pump diaphragm or plugged fuel filter. Another place to check is to pull the fuel pickup tube in the tank and see if the pre screen if any is plugged.

truman3

Cadet

Checked the fuel filter and cleaned it, looks fine. The Screen in the tank doesn't seem to be plugged and the diaphragm looks ok but might go ahead and get one just to make sure.