1996 Force 40 bogging down at full throttle??

Davey1974

Cadet
I just bought a 96 Tracker with a Force 40 on it. When I went out for the first time boat started right up, and idles fine but when I get to full throttle it will bog down or stall. After trying a couple times I gradually get it to full throttle and it runs like a champ. Each time it took two to three tries to get it to full throttle when moving to a new fishing spot.
For some extra info the boat had been winterized by a tracker dealer and the gas tank was full and they did mention that they had put an additive in the gas to keep it thru the winter. Does it seem just like old gas or could there be another problem?

Davey1974

Cadet
Re: 1996 Force 40 bogging down at full throttle??

I also want to ad that before it bogs down it will go twenty yards or so.

foodfisher

Captain

Just a guess cuz I don't know your motor. Sounds like flooding. Check your carb. adjustments. Edit, your second post sounds like the reverse. Starving after take off. Check fuel pump and carb. settings.

Davey1974

Cadet

I did some looking around this evening and found some fuel on the bottom of the cowling(not sure what to call it) below the carb. Appreciate the help. Could it also be old gas from last year? Tank was full when I bought it.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

First check for spark on all cylinders then check compression. It does sound like a bad fuel pump diaphragm or plugged fuel vent. Another possibility may be an exhaust leak starving the motor out for air. If you remove the cowl cover while running motor and it runs better then you have an exhaust leak. But check the others first.

Davey1974

Cadet

I looked for a vent where are they usually located? I am a totally new at boating. Last one I owned was fifty years old...lol But it ran great.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

What kind of plugs are you running??

Davey1974

Cadet

The motor has NGK plugs. I pulled the plugs and the top one was very dirty. Could that be the problem? I just cleaned them in solvent and put back in. I also added a can of Sea Foam to the gas.

Davey1974

Cadet

Problem solved. Bought new plugs, added five gallons of fresh gas to the mix and two cans of Sea Foam. Ran pretty rough at first but smoothed at. First couple times I tried to get on plane it still bogged but after running for about half an hour good to go.