1975 chrysler 55hp spark plugs?

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have NGK in there now, is this correct or can I use something different as I do not like NGK plugs

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 chrysler 55hp spark plugs?

Which ignition system do you have?

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

um....lol good question, I have no idea. How do I know?

tater76

Well.... it may be easier if you just give us the model# off of the ID tag. It is located in the lower cowl in front of the carb/carbs. Or, a pic of the side with all the wires. Are your current plugs bent electrode style or surface gap? Either plug has a few options when it comes to brands. I personally run NGK's in my bigger motors, and like them. Champion is another good option, my 55hp loves them, (L82C I think).

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem. Its a 555hg ser. 3231. Magneto Ignition. (probably what you were asking and I brain farted lol) The spark plugs are like a cars as far as the gap. I was thinking of switching over to Champions just was not sure if I could use them. I got the motor last year and the NGK is what was in there.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

To correct above, the spark plugs are surface gap and while were on it I would also like to know the gap size as well. I saw a post somewhere I believe of Frank calling for .030-.035. Is this correct for my motor.

Thanks again for the help :)

tater76

Surface gap plugs cannot be gapped, they are flat. The bent electrode style is what I think you were referring to as car style. I have not had a chance to check your model# yet. Give me a few, or someone else will chime in I'm sure.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Champion plugs were standard OEM equipment for Chrysler engines. Mercs too. NGK is a good brand as is autolite. You have stated several inconsistancies: Magneto ignition and surface gap plugs. Now, if your engine is indeed a magneto ignition L82C or equivalent is the accepted plug. They would be gapped as you said to about .030 or .035. If .035 does not give a good idle then reduce to .030. Reason? magnetos produce an excellent voltage and spark at high speeds but marginal voltage at idle speeds.

Because of this magneto characteristic, IF you can get the engine to start and get past idle, it is possible to run surface gap plugs so someone may have installed them. OR--you may have elecronic CD ignition. Magna-POWER II ignition looks a lot like magneto ignition because all the components are under the flywheel. Unfortunately, I forget what years Chrysler used this ignition on the 55 HP engines.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

L82C are champion plugs or NGK?

If I remember correctly Frank, you were the one who pointed out my magneto ignition a while back when I bought the boat. You pointed out a few key elements to the motor. Ill put a pic below just to make sure. I think we were chatting about boating the waters around NY.

Yes I did mean Bent Electrode, typo on that one.

Attachments

• Resampled_2011-07-10_11-21-20_437.jpg
    Resampled_2011-07-10_11-21-20_437.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you know, I have "old timers disease" My memory isn't as good as it used to be. I don't remember what I had for breakfast. Did I tell you that my memory isn't so good? I don't remember what I had for breakfast--or was it dinner?

Champions are L82C other brands have different ID systems. But really--Champion, NGK, autolite etc. They are in fact all just spark plugs. As long as they spark, there will be no performance improvement with any of them.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, yea im not looking for any performance enhancers, just a standard replacement for the new season. Do you happen to remember the plug number for the autolites? I have to run to walmart later for some gear lube and might just pick them up there in one trip.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Said screw it and went with the OEM champions. Picked 2 up today and were good to go. This topic can be closed :) Thanks for the help gents!!!!