1970 Chrysler 55 HP starts but dies

Jrc1971

Cadet
Ok, you guys will have to forgive me.....and talking down to me is ok, as I may need it. I just bought a boat a few weeks ago....it's equipped with a 1970 Chrysler 55 HP, model number is 557HA. I can get this thing to start with some starter fluid, but it doesn't want to stay running.
This is my first boat, so I'm sort of learning as I go. I'm actually more of a car guy, so I'm having to transfer that knowledge to outboard motors.
As far as what I've done: have drained and refilled the gas tank, 50:1, which apparently is the ratio. Have replaced the ignition switch(magneto circuit, and I don't feel this caused a problem). I have removed, cleaned, and re-installed the carb, and the fuel pump.
Based on other threads I've read, the next step would be the points....
I pulled up a pic of the points on Google, and I'm actually not able to locate them on this motor....last time I saw points were on a 70 Ford truck under a distributor cap. Obviously, outboards are a bit different. If someone can point me in the right direction, and possibly offer some other possibilities, it'd sure be helpful.....otherwise I am in the market for a new outboard. Thanks!

Jrc1971

Cadet
Re: 1970 Chrysler 55 HP starts but dies

Ok, you guys will have to forgive me.....and talking down to me is ok, as I may need it. I just bought a boat a few weeks ago....it's equipped with a 1970 Chrysler 55 HP, model number is 557HA. I can get this thing to start with some starter fluid, but it doesn't want to stay running.
This is my first boat, so I'm sort of learning as I go. I'm actually more of a car guy, so I'm having to transfer that knowledge to outboard motors.
As far as what I've done: have drained and refilled the gas tank, 50:1, which apparently is the ratio. Have replaced the ignition switch(magneto circuit, and I don't feel this caused a problem). I have removed, cleaned, and re-installed the carb, and the fuel pump.
Based on other threads I've read, the next step would be the points....
I pulled up a pic of the points on Google, and I'm actually not able to locate them on this motor....last time I saw points were on a 70 Ford truck under a distributor cap. Obviously, outboards are a bit different. If someone can point me in the right direction, and possibly offer some other possibilities, it'd sure be helpful.....otherwise I am in the market for a new outboard. Thanks!
Just to clarify a bit: motor turns over, starts with starting fluid. It's also equipped with one of those "squeeze-bulb" things in the fuel line. If I'm lucky enough to get to the rear of the boat while it's still running, I can throttle it manually, while squeezing the bulb and keep it running.....sounds like a fuel issue to me...just not sure if it's the fuel pump, a clogged fuel hose, etc.....

foodfisher

Captain

Yes, it sounds fuel related. Start w/the pump and go thru it again. Stop w/the starting fluid.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

does sound like a fuel delivery issue..

the points are under the flywheel

Jrc1971

Cadet

Thanks, y'all. Gonna get back to work on it this morning.....will recheck the pump, and check the points as well.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Did the diaphragm in the fuel pump look good (vs stretches or cracked)? Are you seeing fuel in the fuel pump?s bowl during the cranking/running? Mine runs with the amount of stretch showing in the arrachment. I have no complaints but plan to replace it to see if I can tell any increased performance.

2. We should have the same Mag type points event though I have a 1970 35 HP Chrysler. I h/n ever seen bad points or condensers vs dirty points (that cleans easily w/o removing them) since 1985. I did change them in 1985 as PM.

3. Good Luck pulling the flywheel, an auto harmonic balance puller should pull it. With the nut loose but not off you might have to strike the top of the puller a few times adding more pressure. jow

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm   Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm   Checked Last In 1985 2.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm Checked Last In 1985 2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (.JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985 But as needed Greasing (.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd wait on the flywheel until you have exhausted easier and more likely things first.

Hitting the prime bulb and it keeps running is an indication that your carbs are starving off.

1) Check the fuel pump, replace / clean the mesh filter. Install a clear fuel filter between the pump and the carbs. This will at least let you see under what conditions you have fuel flowing.
2) Replace the fuel line and the bulb. If you have a crack or hole you may be sucking air and losing prime.
3) Pull the pickup out of the tank and ensure that it is not clogged.
4) Check to make sure that the vent on the fuel tank works.
5) When you cleaned the carb, did you possibly screw up the float setting? (unlikely, but possible)
6) Do you have access to a compression tester?

My money for this bet is on the fuel pump.

-f-

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, starting fluid is nasty stuff, and detonates like crazy. You can stretch head bolts with that stuff.

Jrc1971

Cadet

Y'all have fed a lot of great info....it appears it is the fuel pump. I took it apart again, recleaned, etc....put it back together and re-installed it. Still stuck with same issue. So, made sure all fuel lines were clear, and decided to attempt a little "redneck" on it- I connected the fuel line directly to the carb, bypassing the fuel pump...got it running, and kept it fueled using the "squeeze bulb" thing, while throttling it at the motor.
I noticed the fuel pump has two "doors" inside, and am assuming the secondary one isn't opening. Fuel is getting to the pump, and can see it in the glass bowl underneath. It's just not getting past it, apparently.
Are the rebuild kits reliable? Or should I shop around for a whole new pump?

Jrc1971

Cadet

BTW, y'all were dead right on the flywheel....it isn't an easy removal. Thanks for the tip on the harmonic balancer puller....thankfully, I do have one, and I will keep that in mind. I didn't pull it, from what I can see, this motor is electrically in excellent shape. Gets a great spark. This appears to be totally a fueling-feed issue. Also, I did end up replacing the squeeze bulb today.....it was pretty old and cracked open while I was attempting to prime it.
While I am pretty frustrated at the moment, I have good feelings about this engine. Seems it just needs some
TLC.

rickryder

Commander

Here is a link to my 4shared account. It's the shop manual for your motor. ob2803.zip

wickware

Lieutenant

It sounds as if the pump might need a good diaphragm or good brass reed valves seating per thy Clymer manual. I?m not looking back or remembering if you checked the compression that I feel could affect fuel pressure (yes or no)?? Good Luck! jow

Jrc1971

Cadet

It sounds as if the pump might need a good diaphragm or good brass reed valves seating per thy Clymer manual. I’m not looking back or remembering if you checked the compression that I feel could affect fuel pressure (yes or no)?? Good Luck! jow

Unfortunately, I dont have a compression tester....something I need to look into.
I dont see any cracks in the diaphragm, it could possibly be a bit stretched, though....Id have to compare it against a new one.
Looks like rebuild kits are pretty cheap, thankfully....gonna give that a try and see what happens.

wickware

Lieutenant

Would checking fuel pressure at the carb eliminate a pump issue and possibly point to the carb?s adjustments/condition/etc??? Without a gauge, should you get a good pump of fuel if the carb?s fuel line is secured in a bottle while cranking? jow

rickryder

Commander

I would think the carb needs to be cleaned/rebuilt too while your doing fuel problems.

Jrc1971

Cadet

Ok, update.....carb and fuel pump are rebuilt. Also have replaced gas tank, and fuel line/primer bulb(had to replace tank because the pickup hose had torn loose from the tank attachment, and I couldn't locate a "screw-in" fuel line valve.....50 bucks for a fuel tank, but I'm sure it didn't hurt...the other one was OLD)....
As near as I can tell, it's the fuel pump, which now has new gaskets and diaphragm, and has been cleaned out completely. Just to make sure, I bypassed it one more time and went fuel line to carb, primed up the pressure, and the motor cranks and runs beautifully. The pump just isn't pumping. Gonna try replacing the line between the pump and the carb, in case it's got damage I can't see, and then just gonna have to go over the pump with a fine-tooth comb. Or hunt down a replacement.

rickryder

Commander

Sometimes the inner wall of the fuel line breaks down and causes a restriction.....happening more and more with the ethanol in the fuel.....

foodfisher

Captain

Don't know if a 70's 55hp has valves inside the pump. If so, they may not be working properly due to the alcohol in our current fuels. My only suggestion is Frank A..

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Is your new fuel tank venting properly? I am also thinking fuel pump issue or if you have the quick connects then they can get clogged.
Good compression is key if the fuel pump is to pump enough fuel to carb.