Helm Station Cables and Steering, 1975 135 Chrysler

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all. I inherited a 135 which runs great. I had to replace a coil on it (Retrofitted Prestolite system) last year. Now it's time to get the rest of it 'right'.

I need to relocate the helm station to work properly with the new boat it's on (Right now it's a Frankenstein! Old helm station in new boat...brutal).

Anyway, I'm looking for longer control cables and the proper type of steering system to buy to work with the old girl. The steering will be new I'm sure (Teleflex type), but I was hoping to keep the control levers for the engine, and just get new longer cables. I can splice any electrical necessary.

I looked into steering stuff, but no one seemed to have Chrysler specific parts. Help!!! Where do I go. Likewise for the control cables.

Thanks for any info/leads.

Chay

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Helm Station Cables and Steering, 1975 135 Chrysler

Got a chance to check around and now I know what you need to adapt a rack and pinion steering.
Unfortunatly the parts aren't listed on the teleflex site.
You need to contact them and explain what your doing.
The cable measurements really need to be real close.Too short or too long and it won't fit and you'll be returning it.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Control cables for that engine and control box are standard teleflex threaded ends (10-32). You can get standard cables or upgrade to red jacket. You will re-use your existing cable ends. Measure from the control box to the corner of the transom to the center of the engine. Then add two feet for a loop in the splashwell and round up to the nearest foot. It is ALWAYS preferable to have cables too long as too short cables will bind and not operate correctly.

For the steering cable, you measure from the helm to the side of the boat, back to the corner of the transom, and to the center of the engine. Again, round up to the nearest foot.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for both the replies guys.

Frank, thanks for the good info on the control cables. I read that the cables would need some type of adapter kit to fit, but sounds like you have done this befoere, I'll trust your advice!

The steering cable.. I guess a call to the experts couldn't hurt!

It's not the length of the cable, that's not too hard to figure, it's the connections at the engine end. It's originally a tube type, and I have to either get another which fits, or make an adapter to hold a standard type. I'm leaning toward making a mount for the standard rack type so that it won't be hard to get parts if (when) it fails again.

Thanks for the input.

Chay