40 hp Force turning over SLOWLY

cba74

Recruit
I recently got the boat out to crank it after the winter, I did use stabil, and when i went to crank it it turns over very slowly and no crank. I did however get it to fire up one time and it fired up very quickly but that was the only time. I was thinking it could probably be some corrosion on the battery cables, which there was some corrosion, and i clean it somewhat off but didnt help. I did not check the cable connection to the actual motor but just to the battery. I was just wondering what else it could be or if in fact it is just the cables. thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40 hp Force turning over SLOWLY

Take the battery cables off at both ends and scrub the connectors shiny, cba. That should be a part of every Spring wake up.

Good luck. :)

patrickj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

id start with the cables... just replace them... its not worth the headache of cleaning them, then they cause more problems later. If that dont fix it test your battery, then your starter... if none of those fix it, you might wanna do a compression test make sure the motors not getting tight.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.

cba74

Recruit

Thanks for all the input guys. I will try these suggestions and give an update