Second Opinion on Reverse Shifting Problem. 1998 Force 50HP

gaangus

Cadet
I have a 1998 Force 50 hp. and just had the lower gears serviced. *I took it to a mechanic who said the gears were fine, but the "single piece" lower cowling was loose (possibly bad gromits) causing a problem with the shifting mechanism. He did show me the loose cowling and told me the condition could cause unintended shifting problems.

I took the boat out and the engine ran fine in forward. The reverse gear would not engaged and grinded. I only had to do it once to know something was terribly wrong. *The lower cowling did vibrate a little much. *My mechanic says to fix the reverse shifting problem requires the removal of the power head and insertion of the new stabilizing grommets ($550.00+). Does this sound right? *I need a second opinion. *Thanks to all in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Second Opinion on Reverse Shifting Problem. 1998 Force 50HP

At over 100 bucks an hour, that is what it would cost, Outrageous but that's the way it is. It won't cost any less to have a dealer service your car.

Grommets? I don't know if they are actually called that. I believe they are vibration isolators or dampers. Was the mechanic a Force mechanic or a dealer mechanic? Or was he just a regular garage guy? I just looked up the parts--yes, they are called grommets.

The parts are not too expensive and while a nasty job, you can do the labor yourself. OR---You can find a guy like me in your area and it will cost significantly less.

Before replacing them, try to see if the bolts are loose. If they are, try to tighten them. If the bolts are tight, then the rubber needs to be replaced

gaangus

Cadet

Thanks Frank for the Reply. He was a dealer Mechanic and I have no doubt that he knows his stuff. "A Force mechanoc," I am not so sure. I am in South Florida and true Force mechanics are hard to find.

I was wondering if the cowling vibration could cause the failure to of the gear to go into reverse? I'm not going to attempt a power head removal myself, but before I shelled out that kind on money, I wanted to know if this was a crazy diagnoses or not?

He said he couldn't get to the nut under the shifting rods to check its torque.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Ah, yes! I remember working on one of those engines. The block gasket was leaking and filling the lower cowl with water. The level would get so high that the engine would injest it and stall.

Under the front of the block, mounted to the lower cowling, are two relatively small plates held by four metric bolts. These plates hold down the cross rod for the shift linkage. However, your mechanic is correct: Just to check these bolts, the block must be removed. It is damn near impossible to get a wrench on them.

Since the shift linkage is attached to it, if the (four) bolt, spacer and grommet assemblies are loose, allowing the lower cowl to move up and down, the engine will have shifting problems.

You are in a bit of a quandry: Parts are cheap--only one gasket and possibly four rubber grommets to replace. However, the repairs will cost almost as much as the engine is worth unless you do the labor yourself.

It is not a terribly difficult task but when first looking at the engine and associated wiring it looks daunting. You need only hand tools and a digital camera. Take multiple photos from all angles before starting and take one for reference at each step of the disassembly. That way you have a record of where everything goes. Expect to spend about twice the time a mechanic would so you should think it will take about ten hours spread over a couple of days.

You can find diagrams that pretty much show how the engine is assembled on competing sites ( The forum deletes these names if I give them). But if you google Force parts, you will find them. See my private message to you.

Didn't work---lets try this and see: Bee Oh A Tee Ess Dot En Ee Tee

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Where in Fl?? Profile??

gaangus

Cadet

Where in Fl?? Profile??

Pembroke Pines, FL

Well I am on a little bit of a monetary hiatus with the boat right now. I will check in back soon and appreciate the advice. It all still looks daunting to me but may try the repair myself (not that I really want too).