77 chrysler 15 hp no fuel getting into engine

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello I came into possesion of a 1977 chrysler 15 hp the engine was running until the fuel bowl corroded and developed a leak in it. well it set for approx a year without running. i took the bowl off and patched it with some quick steel. now the engine will not run. it gets fuel into the carb bowl, but it will not get fuel into the engine. i can squirt premix into the carb throat and it will start and run until it burns it out. I tore the carb apart, but didnt see anything in the jet or the tube running into the carb throat. i went ahead and soaked the carb for 4 days anyway. and blew every thing out with compressed air. after putting it back on, there was no change in the symptoms. I cant reach the throat of the carb to put my hand over the front of it to see if it has a suction to it. the previous owner pulled the carb off but i am not sure if they tore into the carb or not. any help or ideas will be appreciated as usual.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 77 chrysler 15 hp no fuel getting into engine

Sounds like the needle/seat isin't letting fuel in.
Float level? The low speed jet clogged?

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the reply Jerry, it is getting fuel into the engine, I know this due to the fact that when i pull the bowl off, there is fuel in it.the float level looks good, and all of the jets are open. this has me really stumped

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok the newest info on my problems. the engine doesnt have a tilt adjustment rod in it. I have it mounted on a plastic barrel, so it was tilted down towards the rear at a pretty good angle. so i leveled it up some. well after that i hit the starter and it started up. i still need to adjust the carb, but at least i am getting somewhere.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If it starts on pre-mix prime but will not start otherwise, then you have proved that all systems are good except the fuel system. Like jerry says--it isn't getting fuel.

The carb doesn't just need fuel, the fuel bowl needs to be full. That's why the float level is set to even or level with the casting with the carb inverted. So now, you need to remove the carb and clean it again by hand--soaking will not remove a chip of epoxy. Then you need to set the float level correctly.

Check the fuel connector fittings, both male and female, for debris clogging them. Not just the outside. Remove the fittings from the hose and check them internally.

Oh, yeah--I just remembered: Check the gaskets on the fuel bowl If bad, they let gas leak and the engine will not start, yet when you prime it, it will fire right up. Break down and buy a new bowl. They won't list one for Chrysler but they will list one for a Force and it is the same. Worst case: Go to your local lawn-mower shop with the bowl and have them match it from a power mower or snowblower.

Lastly: You are choking it to start and starting it in the "Start" position on the tiller arm, aren't you?

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

o.k after having the engine run good for a day, it quit on me again. i tore into itand found the needle seat and inlet fitting packed with rust.but the kicker is that i am using a new line from my other engine. and i am using a plastic tank. so this tell me that it came from the previous owners tank.so i pulled the fuel system from fuel fitting to pump to lines and carb and gave them all a good cleaning.well so far so good.so now i am gonna buy a new carb bowl, i can get one for a little under 20 bucks, when i pull the carb to swap the bowl i am gonna give it a good cleaning again. i figure after that i should be good to go. Thanks for the help Jerry and Frank