Jeopardy Daily Double (Early Chrysler 45-55hp Power Trim Unit)

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK Chrysler outboard diehards - Here's one to stump the best of them.

Does anyone have knowledge on Chrysler power trim units used on the 35 - 55hp outboards in the early to mid 70's?

How rare are they? Did they work ok? Does anyone know where I can find one?

I know these power trim units exist because I have personally seen two of them over the years.

I am looking for a trim unit for my 74' 55HP Chrysler outboard (557HF) however, they are proving difficult to find.

Any help is greatly appreciated. My aching back thanks you in advance. :D

Here is a picture of my lower unit. ScreenHunter_3068.JPG

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Jeopardy Daily Double (Early Chrysler 45-55hp Power Trim Unit)

It is the 4 bolt trim cylinder. While not that common, it is not rare. You can use a power T/T unit off a Chrysler 55-65 or an early Force 50 --The ones that looked like the Chryslers. If Rritt doesn't have one try franzmarine@aol.com but be prepared to pay cubic money to Franz.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have any photos, exploded diagrams or part numbers for these units that you can post?

I would like to have something specific to reference to ensure I purchase the right parts.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

60.jpg102_6771.jpg102_6770.jpg102_6769.jpg102_6768.jpg

Since they are obsolete, it is not easy to find part numbers. These photos show the one unit I have mounted on my 60 HP one piece lower unit Chrysler. This will also fit on your 55. I got this one off a junker 55 and bought the engine for $350 specifically for the power tilt so I could fit it to this engine.

The motor and pump are standard 3 wire but the hydraulic pistons are different. There was also a tilt only option which had a tilt cylinder and lock-out on the adjusting bar but no trim cylinder. This did use a different pump. If you look closely, in the third photo you can see the casting number 455545 on the trim cylinder---right between the hydraulic lines.

Contrary to what your back says, the 55 was considered a medium to small engine and thus, not many were fitted with power T/T. So, you will have trouble finding a complete unit.

If you are serious, you may be better-off finding a CMC power tilt jack plate for around 350-500. Then, you could still use it if you changed engines.

See my private message to you

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The lower unit and trim on your 60hp appears to be same as what is used on the 70hp units. I have actually seen several of these trim units around however, I was not aware they were compatible with my 55HP motor and lower unit. (which is smaller)

It sure looks like the unit which is normally advertised to fit 65hp to 105hp outboards. Do you know if this is true? If it is, I think I can manage to find a donor motor.

I spotted this one online tonight. Do you know if this one would work? The add states it is for a 65 to 105hp motors.

ScreenHunter_3072.jpg ScreenHunter_3073.jpg ScreenHunter_3074.jpg

Thanks for all of the pics and information.

P.S. You definitely know your stuff on Chrysler outboards. There are people that claim to but really don't. You don't know how many people have told me there was never a trim unit was offered for my 55hp motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

011.jpg102_0261.jpg103_6241.jpg103_6238.jpg100_6190.jpg

No, it definitely will not fit. It is a five bolt pentagon cap and is for the 70 on up horsepower engines. It is a common mistake to lump the 65 with the larger three cylinder 70-90 engines. The 55,60,65 HP engines were a special line with nothing in common with the larger 3 and four cylinder engines. They were two cylinder, two carb engines. The only thing they did have in common with your engine was the T/T.

Yes, your lower unit is smaller but although I have not swapped one yet, I am almost certain the width between the transom clamps is the same. Too late tonight but tomorrow I will go out and measure to give you a definite answer. I am almost certain that I was considering putting this T/T on my Chrysler 55 like yours but decided against it because of weight. The little 10 foot hull it is on is already overweight.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow... you really know these motors. Ok, great, please provide the width between the clamps as well as any other distinguishing details that will allow me accurately identify the correct unit.

I am new with these so help me out... is the small cylinder the trim and the long cylinder the tilt? When you refer to the four or five bolt cap are you talking about the smaller cylinder?

How about this one?

ScreenHunter_3075.JPG

Looks similar but the long cylinder appears to be missing the top cap.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Four bolt and five bolt refer to the top cap on the shorter cylinder. The four bolt is square and the five bolt is pentagonal.

That is a correct unit. The short cylinder with four bolts is the trim cylinder and the long cylinder with the eye at top is the tilt. The unit appears complete except for a couple of missing 3/8 inch diameter mounting bolts, the top hydraulic adapter, and, of course, the motor and pump. What are the asking? If I were looking, I would not pay more than about 75 bucks because of the cost, fuss, and bother finding the parts.

Before you do buy, let me double-check the mounting to be absolutely certain it will fit.

What the photo also does not show is a stainless rub plate which should be screwed into the engine yoke so the trim piston does not deform the aluminum at the area where it makes contact. This is a simple piece and you could probably make one yourself.

Operation is as follows: When up is activated since there is a much greater surface area of the trim piston and since load on the tilt piston is greater, the trim piston will move out. Once the trim has reached the limit of its travel, the tilt piston will start to move. Note that because of relief valving, if the engine is moving at more than idle speed it will trim but not tilt. Activating down will reverse the operation with the trim cylinder moving first.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does my manual setup already have a casting provision present for bolting the tilt ram up to it?

By the way, how fast does the 55hp push your little 10ft boat. (way cool)

I get 27mph by GPS on my 16ft closed bow aluminum boat.

Nordin

Commander

I have a 45Hp with that 3 wire T/T, 4 bolt trim cyl. and 1 tiltcyl. I think the year is 1974-77. It has the hydrodart gearhouse (nosecone) and the decal on the hood says Super Sport 691cc. It come with a bronze 2 blade prop and spacerplate (I was stupied and sold the prop and spacer, young and dum). It also has larger manifold as the normal 45Hp and also a TC5A7 carb. Have asked Franz at Franzmarine and it was in the workshopmanual but not so common. This is the only 35-55Hp singelcarb Chrysler I have seen with T/T.

RRitt

Captain

Wow... you really know these motors. Ok, great, please provide the width between the clamps as well as any other distinguishing details that will allow me accurately identify the correct unit.

I am new with these so help me out... is the small cylinder the trim and the long cylinder the tilt? When you refer to the four or five bolt cap are you talking about the smaller cylinder?

How about this one?

View attachment 133880

Looks similar but the long cylinder appears to be missing the top cap.

that's the one for your engine. the tall skinny ram is different from the 70-150 also. It has smaller mounting shafts and the top eye is offset. That is an early model with black rubber boot on tilt cylinder cap. If you ever rebuild the ram then you'll need to replace the tilt head with a late model. I'm almost positive I have one of the trim cylinders but none of the tilt. As for pump, the chinese stuff won't have any troubles with a 40HP. You should be able to find a new motor + pump for $150-$200.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6774.jpg102_6773.jpg102_6772.jpg

I went out and did some measuring and checking: Both the older 55 and the twin carb 60 have the same spacing between the transom clamps---7 inches.

BUT:While the older 55 like yours does have provision to mount a T/T pump motor and the trim cylinder, on mine, the engine pivot yoke does not seem to have provision for either the tilt ram upper eye or the mount that the trim piston bears against. Oh, it looks like it still could be done with some custom work, but it would be a lot of fuss and bother.

If your engine looks like the one in the first two photos, there does not appear to be a bearing surface for the trim piston or enough room between the webs for the tilt cylinder eye to fit. The third photo shows the twin carb 60 for comparison. Never having worked on an older Force 50, I can not say whether or not these engines had a different steering yoke to mount power T/T. Thus: I can not say if replacing the steering yoke with a later Force one would work.

Again, if you truly want power tilt, your best bet and easiest solution would be a used CMC jackplate

The little boat tops out at 45 MPH. Not really as fast as you would expect but it is less than 4 feet wide. With a full tank of fuel, a battery, the weight of the engine, and my weight, it just rides too low in the water to get more speed. This boat is a Cougar Cub 10 foot tunnel hull and was made for class racing with a Merc 25. There are reports of speeds in the range of 45-47 MPH with that Merc.

27 on your 16 footer is quite respectable. The 15'9" Glastron in the avatar used to top out at 27 with the same engine.

Nordin: can you post a couple of photos of your engine? Specifically the power trim mounting, especially the upper mount for the tilt cylinder, and the manifold. This is so Litetwin4 can compare and see if his engine really can mount the tilt system. I have never seen a Chrysler 55 with a TC carb and am interested in the manifold/carb..

Nordin

Commander

PICT1742.jpgPICT1743.jpgPICT1747.jpgPICT1748.jpgPICT1749.jpg

Here some pics if it will be able to open.
Will add some more later.

Nordin

Commander

PICT1750.jpgPICT1751.jpgPICT1744.jpgPICT1745.jpgPICT1752.jpg

Here are more pics (T/T and manifold/carb)

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. Here are the pics and measurements of my lower unit.

It appears to me that I will need to purchase the entire t/t including the swivel joint. I don't see the provisions on my swivel joint for mounting the tilt ram. Am I right?

Ok guys, I am still interested in picking one up. Please put your feelers out for one and let me know what you can find. I have seen a few listed online and surprisingly they are not very expensive. However, the owner usually wants get rid of the entire motor. To make matters worse, they are never local to me.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_3.jpg
    ScreenHunter_3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter_5.jpg
    ScreenHunter_5.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter_6.jpg
    ScreenHunter_6.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter_7.jpg
    ScreenHunter_7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter_8.jpg
    ScreenHunter_8.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

Cameronkyoung

Recruit

On a related note... I recently purchased a 73 55hp Chrysler That I am going to put on my Jon boat and it has a trim unit already on it. If I am hooking it up to the original controls that do not have a trim switch how do I go about hooking up the trim controls? I bought an aftermarket trim switch on eBay but I'm not sure what wiring to connect it to. Any help would be great!
It also has an electric choke (I'm told not original) and I am wondering the same thing how to make it work...

wickware

Lieutenant

I used this leverage arm to reduce the strain on my back to lift my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler engine (in the late 80s). Strange! I retired the bilge and leverage arm by the mid 90s well before our fishing career was reduced (in the mid to late 2000 and now due to low lakes and low production in North and East TX. I can remember both working well when needed. I feel my back got better and there was Too Much Stuff in the 15? RayCraft (3 swivel seats with 3 of us 8 hrs most nights).

Attachments

• 1985 Bilge Pump, Leverage Handle To Lift Boat's Motor (1).JPG
    1985 Bilge Pump, Leverage Handle To Lift Boat's Motor (1).JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 0