How to adjust shift cable on 125 force 1986

jimbo125

Recruit
The motor will go into gear if I have the shift cable disconnected and pushed it by hand in either direction, but i cant seem to get the cable to make it move as far as it needs to in either direction. Does any one know if there is a different adjustment on the linkage somewhere. Boat fires right up and am eager to get it back in the water. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.:confused:

foodfisher

Captain
Re: How to adjust shift cable on 125 force 1986

Could you have the throttle and shifter cables reversed?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is no real adjustment for control cables. You need to check that the cables are locked into the fittings at the engine end and at the control box. There is a groove in the outer sheath of the cable that the clamp locks into. You also need to check that cables are connected properly at the control box and finally, as mentioned you need to check that the cables are correctly attached. With the control box removed from its mount, check that it is operating correctly.

I would show some photos but all my attachments show up blank. I hope they get the repais done and problem resolved soon.

jimbo125

Recruit

The cables are in the correct spots. Throttle on bottom and shift on top. I have taken the shift box off and everything in there seems to be working smoothly. I have them attached to the motor and the sleeve popped back into place.
This morning I was tinkering with it and got it into gear with the cable unhooked and now cant get it out of gear. The shift rod has full range of motion up and down but the prop will not turn. I have a feeling something has come loose in the l/u. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

UH! Is this engine new to you or is this a recently developed problem? Too short cables will bind and cause erratic shifting. Usually it is preferable to have cables too long and leave a loop inside the splashwell.

If you have that feeling that there is something wrong with the lower unit, did you change the oil? Did you remove the screw on the side of the gearcase? This is not the drain. It is the shift pivot screw and should never be removed except when rebuilding the L/U