chrysler 35hp 1971(i think) no idea where to attach the fuel lines

hi all, bit of a stupid sounding question coming up but here goes...........................where do the fuel lines for this engine go into the engine itself? Its an engine i aquired from my brother and i have zero idea about them. I hope that there is a part missing and not that im being simple but i cant figure out where it should attach.

Any suggestions would be received gratefully

Im trying to upload a picture of my outboard but my computer wont let me

Thanks in advance

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler 35hp 1971(i think) no idea where to attach the fuel lines

The fuel line passes through the lower cowling on the starboard side along with the control cables . It then passes back to the fuel pump which usually is mounted on a bracket back by the head. There will be a barbed hose fitting it attaches to. There will be another bent barbed fitting from the smaller chamber that the hose from the pump to the carb attaches to. Depending upon the 35, there usually will be a removable glass bowl below the fuel pump. I don't think those early 35s used a pump mounted on the side of the engine and attached directly to it at about the midpoint.

If the engine is newer and there is a black plastic cover on the fuel pump, then the line from the tank attaches there.

Hi and thanks very much for your reply. Ive located the fuel pump and it is mounted on a bracket by the head and ive found the barbed hose fitting that is attached to it but nothing is actually connected to that. Is that where the fuel lines should be connected? The other bent barbed fitting from the smaller chamber does run to the carbs. There is no glass bowl however, do i need to source one of these or is it not for my engine?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Chris

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Pics of my 1970 35 HP Chrysler fuel matter attached. I have many more PM related pics if needed. The gray fuel line is from fuel tank to pump with glass bowl just right of hose on pump. That will show priming, etc with a filter screen present but a clear inline before the carb or pump is probably recommended. My inline is as the line leaves the tank to monitor priming and etc vs pulling the cover. Closer to the carb might be better protection against gasohol deteriorating fuel line.

2. Please note there are some attachment size restrictions, Possibly you must accept cookies or press Alt & Etc.. My attachment is not showing in the preview (which is unusual unless a rule has changed).

Good Lick! jow

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

wickware

Lieutenant

My 2nd try to add the 1970 35 HP Chrysler fuel line attachment. The attachment is still not showing in my preview, which means I doubt it will show. Nor are my past uploads showing vs an X. What is causing this??

Good Luck! (excuse my 1st error)

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (3).JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

antique fisherman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wickware - - - Your pictures are posting very well.

Hi,this is my engine and is the area ive ringed where the fuel line attaches to? And i cant figure where the glass bowl is/should be, any suggestions?

chrysler123.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the fitting enclosed by the rectangle is where the fuel line from the tank attaches. I don't particularly like those old style pumps and replace them with newer ones. Thus: I Should have a glass bowl or two lying around. If you can not find one, contact me in a private message.

wickware

Lieutenant

A better view of the bowl (I hope) and it's where the gray line was fitted vs to the right fixture (until I learn the part's name LOL). Our year models/pumps/?fixtures? appear to be off if we are that close in year/models.

It?s time for me to fire-up for my few yearly fishing runs. My boat and I are on our last few years or runs (10 + I hope) and we plan to keep them safe. That means closer monitoring on both of us. When we are the monitors that gets a little Fuzzy At Times!

Good Luck Old Timers! jow

PS. An attachments seems to be working better or I was caught in a maintenance window.

Attachments

• Greasing After 2010 Cleaning (2).JPG
    Greasing After 2010 Cleaning (2).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 0

Hi again, another quick question. What thickness fuel line do you use? Obviously I want to buy the right ones and you are well placed to offer the right advice

wickware

Lieutenant

To: Frank and others familiar with the old 35 HP Chrysler motors. Do you feel the 1970 vs 1971 would have glass bowls on one pump vs another? If so seems like my 70 would be the pump w/o.

To: Superd?.. I feel the inside dia and marine grade is the concern on fuel line. Even though my old plastic looking line was thicker and tuff and basically had to be the correct ID dia to fit your barbs. I found the newer gray marine grade (very flexable) in a kit form with the footage I needed and a primer bulb attached at Napa Auto. Again, I added an in-line clear filter close to my tank to observe priming and fuel flow if I questioned the flow due to etc. I feel my ID was 5/16 or 3/8? w/o checking. Good Luck! jow

Nordin

Commander

I think the inlinefilter fuelpump (without glassbowl) came in 1973. The new engine model 25-30Hp came 1973 and in 1975 also 35Hp had the new style fuelpump. So the glassbowl style was before 1973. I think, but not 100% sure.