1999 force 40 hp questions temp and tach

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I just purchased a 1999 force 40 hp outboard. Runs well on the bench (in water)! I would like to connect a tach and temp gauge to this motor if possible so that I can make sure it does not overheat and so I can test various props. This will be on a project boat that I am restoring so I can use any type of gauge I want. Can anyone direct me to products and any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks,

Lenny

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 force 40 hp questions temp and tach

That engine has a Mercury ignition and it should have provision for a tach. I don't remember the color of the wire but it should be in the main cable. It has an overheat indicator (buzzer) but you can also add a temperature gauge using a separate wire. These gauges are standard and the sending unit plugs into the head. You may need to drill and tap the top of the head but most of the older engines already had a stainless plug there so yours may also.

Back to the tach, being a Mercury ignition, you MAY need a special tach. Check with a mercury dealer to see if it needs a 12 pole or 20 pole tach. Maybe someone else will jump in with a definite answer on this.Look for parts right here on the iboats store

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Details are important here guys.

Leonard has a 1999 40 hp.

It uses a standard 12 pole outboard tach.

Please check your charts and parts catalogs before giving out misinformation.

Choose a tach:
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Tachometers/dm/*******.535190305--**********.346624918--view_id.248010

Tach signal wire is the gray one. It comes out of the voltage regulator and runs thru the main wiring harness up to the helm controls.

Not hard to do. Every tach I have bought has come with wiring instructions.

leonardbaker1

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much. It makes perfect sense to me now.