Force engine seems like it is popping out of gear after impeller change

Thomasb

Recruit
I have a 1984 Force 85hp outboard that seems like it might be popping out of gear when it is under a load after an impeller change. At low rpms it does fine, if you give it a lot of throttle or increase to a higher rpm, it will make a noise and jerk like it is popping out of gear if I back off it does okay. I thought that it was a coincidence and I had nicked a rock with my prop so I thought I had a issue with a spun prop. I sent the prop out and had it repaired and the repairer said the hub was okay. There is a shifting shaft that is threaded that I had to remove and replace while installing the impeller. I was thinking that it may be out of adjustment. just wanted to see if anyone knew about this issue or had run into this problem before I tear into the motor again.

Thanks for you input. Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force engine seems like it is popping out of gear after impeller change

102_6509.jpg102_6508.jpg102_6459.jpg102_6464.jpg101_0234.jpg

The first four photos are of the inside of your lower unit. The last is of a similar gear pak and prop shaft. As you can see, there is not a lot of travel and small misadjustments can result in popping out of gear.

Forward is down, so if it is coming out of forward gear, adjust the rod in the fourth photo upward 1/2 turn at a time until the dog clutch is centered and both gears engage equally. You do not need to remove the lower unit to do this and you do not need to disassemble it.

To test engagement, with the engine in forward gear, turn the prop backwards and it should lock up. When you turn the prop the correct direction by hand, if you hear a clicking noise, that is the tapered rear of the drive dogs riding over each other and the shift is not biased toward forward enough, Correctly set, there will be no noise in either gear when the prop is turned the correct direction by hand. In neutral, there should also be no noise and the prop should turn smoothly.

Welcome to iboats forums. Here you will get any knowledge you need to keep your engine running well

Thomasb

Recruit

Thanks Frank, I will give that a try and see what happens. Tom

dolliver

Cadet

i have this same problem but it is "popping" in and out of gear in both forward and reverse. could this possibly be adjustment aswell or more likely to be more a gearbox issue?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Linkage???
Unhook the connectors on the motor.
Reach inside and make sure that the rod that travels inside to the lower isin't loose or sloppy.
Sometimes the nut on top of the rod gets loose.
Then shift the lower unit through the gears. ending in N turning the prop with your foot helps.
Then the same with the shifter,ending in N
Then adjust the cable ends.Reconnect.

pleva88

Recruit
I have the same issue with my 1989 us marine 50hp force. So ur saying put the boat in forward gear and spin the propeller counter clockwise and it should lock in place ? And also what gear fluid is used in the lower unit ? Thank you