Best service manual - Seloc or Clymer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZSteve

Seaman
What is the best service manual for a shadetree mechanic? Seloc or Clymer? Other?
Motor is a 1997 Force 90

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best service manual - Seloc or Clymer

OEM manual is best for tech info, and it tells you what to do.

Clymer is next choice, gives a little more info on how stuff works, explains it for the layperson.

Seloc is filled with mis-information, and missing information.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

don't have any Force motors,
not disagreeing with the advice above coz ya ain't gonna get any better than that already given,
but l picked up a newish Seloc manual with a $50 Chrysler 45hp a month or so ago,
l already had two OEM manuals and two Clymers..

l had also brought a week earlier a 10hp Chrysler ( also $50 ) that the PO said needed a new spring and rope installed on the spool starter, l couldn't see where the "missing spring" went using the Clymers ( the OEM manuals didn't cover a teeny 10hp ) so put it on the backburner with the intent of eventually taking it up to the mower joint until l read the Seloc, which had pics AND a really good explanation of how the thing worked...
didn't need a spring at all and the PO had just done up the front nut holding the neutral start link too tight, once loosened off a tad it worked as it should,

this time the Seloc was better than the Clymers
just FWIW,

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

don't have any Force motors,
not disagreeing with the advice above coz ya ain't gonna get any better than that already given,
but l picked up a newish Seloc manual with a $50 Chrysler 45hp a month or so ago,
l already had two OEM manuals and two Clymers..

l had also brought a week earlier a 10hp Chrysler ( also $50 ) that the PO said needed a new spring and rope installed on the spool starter, l couldn't see where the "missing spring" went using the Clymers ( the OEM manuals didn't cover a teeny 10hp ) so put it on the backburner with the intent of eventually taking it up to the mower joint until l read the Seloc, which had pics AND a really good explanation of how the thing worked...
didn't need a spring at all and the PO had just done up the front nut holding the neutral start link too tight, once loosened off a tad it worked as it should,

this time the Seloc was better than the Clymers
just FWIW,

To clarify -- my input is for '90's era Mercury Force motors.

I have Seloc manuals for other motors and they are fine. But they sure dropped the ball on the model specific info of the 90's Force motors.

If you plan on doing major work on your motor, you might want to spring for both the Clymer and the Factory manuals.

FYI, the digital download manual in jerry's post, may or may not work. The site pops up a message saying they "are no longer available", but they still download for me.

Jman208

Cadet
I have a 1991 90hp force L drive and I cannot find the timing specs for WOT for the life of me, any help? Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.